We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hike to Mt. Halekela (sp??) OR road to Hana??

East Hampton, NY
Level Contributor
277 posts
Save Topic
Hike to Mt. Halekela (sp??) OR road to Hana??

Which one if you had to choose??? For both you need to get up really early right???

Can you drive up Halekela? What time should you leave in the a.m?

What about the road to Hana... what time should you leave... (in october)

Port Lavaca, Texas
Level Contributor
606 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hike to Mt. Halekela (sp??) OR road to Hana??

We did both, you will be surprised, it is hard to sleep late in Maui. We were up early so we left for Hana around 6:30. We stayed in Lahaina. We actually didn't get up early to do Haleakala. We went up in the morning after the sunrise crowd was gone. It was nice getting to stop and see all the little towns on the way down. We drove down through Makawoa and Haiku, and then went back to Paia, since we didn't stop there on our way to Hana. It was a good trip. We spent our last day doing this, we had to waste time before our flight out at 11 PM.

PA
Level Contributor
638 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hike to Mt. Halekela (sp??) OR road to Hana??

If I only had time to do one it would be the Road to Hana, simply because when I think of Hawaii, I think waterfalls, and that is the trip to see them on Maui. But both are enjoyable. Do both if time allows. And, generally speaking, they will be more enjoyable if you get up early (if you want to see the sunrise at the top of Haleakala - minimum 2 hours before sunrise , or get a head start on others along the Road to Hana - before 7:30 am). The journey up and down Haleakala can be accomplished in less than half a day if you don't hike around the crater, spend a long time at the visitor's center, and aren't interested in every outlook or town. All based on personal preference of what you want to see and experience, given the time you have. Likewise, there are many different places to see along the Road to Hana (waterfalls, beaches, towns, churches, gardens, etc...), so doing some research beforehand will enable you to plan out your trip along the Road a little and allow you to skip some things that aren't of as much interest so you may spend more time at the places that do interest you. If you do the drive to Hana, I recommend driving completely around the island. Some of the best sights are along that stretch.

There are many other threads with more info on both of these topics in the Maui forums. Just scroll back a few pages or use the search box. Happy planning!

Seattle
Level Contributor
48 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hike to Mt. Halekela (sp??) OR road to Hana??

If I had to choose, I'd just Road to Hana.

Primarily because the conditions at the crater are going to be hit-and-miss. If everything is socked in by clouds, there's not much to see ('cept for perhaps a pretty sunrise or sunset).

Even the weather isn't good on the road to Hana, it's still gorgeous.