We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui for a big group

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
149 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Maui for a big group

Hello,

I am having a wedding in Wailea in June and the response has been much better than expected. We have at least 40 people coming and many staying for 10+ days. My fiance and I have been several times so are familiar with the island and what it offers. I am asking for tips in taking a group of people (we are thinking maybe 20 at a time) on little excursions. Prices quoted for many organized activities can be astronomical. Like $150 for a road to Hana excursion. We'd like to save money somehow without trying to stay as one group while driving in 4 or 5 rental cars. Another idea was a boat charter to Lanai or Molokai and spending that day there. Snorkeling, Haleakala for sunrise, Lahaina, and lots of sunsets are all things we'd like to do. Obviously, this is Maui with a group of people, and nothing will be cheap. But if anyone has ideas to use size to our advantage or just as an idea of how to treat or friends and family who are coming out to our favorite spot. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Edited: 15 January 2014, 22:21
LA
Level Contributor
10,096 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui for a big group

With 20 people in 4 or 5 rental cars, you are guaranteed carsickness and some very unhappy folks.

I think RTH is too big a committment for such a large group.

Chose a couple of smaller excursions, and let people in the group decide what they want to do for themselves.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
813 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui for a big group

I have no idea of the costs involved but I'd look into chartering some type of boat/catamaran for the day and going to Lanai, sailing at sunset, sailing during the day or whatever? I saw listings all over the place for this in Cabo (albeit for a smaller group) so maybe something exists in Hawaii?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui for a big group

http://www.kaikanani.com/private-charters/

This boat goes off the beach in Makena, south of Wailea.

Gemini in Kaanapali, similar boat charges $1300 an hr for 2 hrs + fuel surcharge+tax+tips

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,990 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui for a big group

I had a group of 15 friends and family come spend a week for a birthday. I mailed them all the 101 things to do on Maui magazine and told them to pick a couple of favorites. I also gave them a list of "must things to do" as a group!! That was a luau and a BBQ at a friends condo. Other than that they were pretty much on their own. You can't make a group that large happy 100% of the time. Each family rented their own car and we did a caravan on the road to Hana. Everyone went but no one was required to. Everyone made their own lodging arrangements, and activity bookings.

Amazingly everything went off without a hitch.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui for a big group

Congratulations, Kafreena!

Sounds like you have an amazing Maui wedding upcoming! And how wonderful that so many folks are committing to attending. Checking into charters is certainly a wonderful idea, considering the size of your group. But do remember, for anything less than a full charter, you certainly should be eligible to talk about group rates, even ask vendors what kind of price they could give you. Surely they would offer at least their "group" discount…..

Happy planning!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,569 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui for a big group

Really Kafreena, they are using your wonderful wedding as excuse to make an extended trip to Maui! The only things you should worry about involve your wedding and reception. Maybe welcome bags in their accommodations...nice touch.

Great idea to e-mail them options that THEY can then book from the 101 Things to do web-site.

But please don't stress about entertaining 40 people beyond the festivities.

We attended a destination wedding on Oahu in Feb. The bride and groom sent us all lodging info and some general info but we were on our own to enjoy the island as WE wanted. They did host a wonderful rehearsal dinner for the various family/friends to meet as well as the reception and it was perfect!

Folks came together if they wished or went their seperate ways. Our focus was on the wedding but also enjoying the island on our own!

Trust me herding 9 people will give you a headache, I do it every year...trying to please 40 leads to complete insanity!

Give them options and concentrate on your big day.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,713 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui for a big group

Yes....this is your special day and the lucky guests are happy you chose Maui for a destination wedding so they can visit a very awesome place and celebrate your wedding. They will be just fine on their own. I attended a wedding with only 11 guests and the bride and groom in November. We could not have been happier to have a reason we HAD to have time off work for this special couple's wedding. It was a MUST DO and work happily gave me time off I did not have leave time for.......it was our pleasure to happily keep ourselves busy until the day of the wedding! We had a wonderful dinner after the wedding, but otherwise, we enjoyed another chance to relax on our favorite island in the world!

Please listen to mamma and only be concerned with your special day. Answer any questions they may have and def tell them about this forum and we can answer their questions for you........delegating duties will keep you sane when planning a wedding anywhere! Deb

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui for a big group

Wow, what amazingly wonderful advice from Mamma & Deb!!! Forget what I said!!! LOL!!! After all, it IS about your wedding. Let everyone else ask about group discounts! LOL!!!!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,713 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui for a big group

Southerngirl.........lol, thanks! I am the mother of the bride for a June wedding and the daughter is too Alaskan to get married on Maui! I am needing to take the delegation advice! Deb

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui for a big group

Well good luck to you, Bride Kafreena, and you too, mother of the bride, Deb!!! Anything one can do to make a wedding less stressful and more joyful is a GOOD thing! :-) I sure hope we will get some photos from your wedding, Kafreena! (you too, Deb!)