We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental Insurance for UK drivers

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
Save Topic
Car Rental Insurance for UK drivers

Aloha,

After many days of reading all the forum posts and advice online about how to insure my car rental properly as a British driver in Maui, I thought I'd share what I've learnt for any other people struggling to make sense of it all. These are just things I've found this week, and maybe you'll find better deals, so always check!

In summary:

1) Most UK car home insurance policies don't cover rentals in the USA, and if they do it's very basic.

2) If you buy insurance last minute when you're picking up your car, it will be ridiculously expensive. It can also be expensive if you buy it from the rental company in advance.

3) What you want is a 'Collision/Loss Damage Waiver' - this covers any damage to your rental car, and 'Supplimentary Liability Insurance' - this covers anything you (hopefully don't) hit!

4) If you buy it independently before you go, it is normally much cheaper. I found this website particularly helpful (moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-car-hire). They recommend using moneymaxim to compare quotes, which I found useful. Even better, if you scroll down to section 4, there is a 15% off deal for direct-carexcess.co.uk which has offered me 8 days insurance including everything I was looking for, for £41. This is easily the cheapest I've seen by a long way.

Anyway, just a disclaimer that I haven't used any of these companies yet, so I can't recommend them, I just thought I would share the good deal and what I've learnt as this forum has been very useful for planning my trip and I wanted to give something back. Please correct me if I've made any mistakes in my research, or post if you've used this company and have any positives/negative experiences. I will post again upon my return!

Mahalo

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental Insurance for UK drivers

One other simple and useful explanation can be found here: moneymaxim.co.uk/pages/faq-car-rental-insura…

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,216 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental Insurance for UK drivers

Are you sure that the £41 that you quote is covering all of your insurance? When I read it, I understood that it only covers damage to the vehicle, in excess of what is covered by the insurance that you buy from the rental car company. The site even mentions, "Our Direct Car Excess Insurance is not a replacement for your hire car insurance, which you will still need to purchase from your car hire company."

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental Insurance for UK drivers

Hi Susan,

Yes that confused me too, but if you click on the policy for Worldwide (including USA) it goes on to explain that they will also provide CDW and SLI with this policy. This is what all the moneymaxim companies are supposed to cover, to be included in their comparison search. However, it's best to be 100% clear and I will call both companies this evening to clarify.

Thanks for the heads up

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental Insurance for UK drivers

I'm just off the phone with moneymaxim (who offered me the quote with direct-carexcess). They have clarified that this policy DOES cover all of my insurance needs. A very basic liability insurance comes as standard with USA rentals (a legal minimum requirement), and their CDW/SLI policies will cover me for everything above that, including any excesses. They also cover glass and tyres, which I've noticed is excluded in a few other policies, which is helpful as these are the things are most likely to be damaged surely!

As far as I understand, the quotation you pasted from the main homepage is only talking about the 'Car Hire Excess Insurance', which is their main basic policy that is sufficient for most other countries. However for the USA you need more cover, if you click through to the 'Worldwide Collision Damage Waiver & Supplemental Liability Insurance' - this covers you for everything, hence it being more expensive.

I agree that their homepage is very confusing and unclear, but the guy at moneymaxim explained that this (and your own travel insurance for personal medical costs) is about as fully covered as you can possibly be for car insurance abroad.

Thanks for querying it with me though, I feel happier now that I've grilled them with a hundred questions! Hopefully I'll never have to use it, if there's anyone out there who has ever had to claim with this company, it'd be great to hear from you!

5. Re: Car Rental Insurance for UK drivers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2015, 05:18