We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui Help - which area is best for mid 20's couple?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Maui Help - which area is best for mid 20's couple?

Hi All,

I am planning a trip to Hawaii for June 2014. I have been to Oahu before and I loved the shopping and busy bars/restaurants of Waikiki, however my partner enjoyed the laid-back and surfing of the North Shore. This trip I would love to spend some time in Maui, however I am not sure which area is best for us. We are in our mid 20's and would like to go somewhere with the following:

- Cocktails/drinks on the beach

- 4.5 star hotels

- hiking/running paths for myself (I like to be quite active, my partner not so) that I can safely go for a run by myself

- yoga/Pilates/stand-up paddle boarding

- golf

- shopping

- Nightlife/great restaurants

Wailea sounds like it fits, however I would like to be surrounded by people of similar ages and not stuck in a country club! In saying this, I would prefer to stay in a hotel than rent a house. We have budgeted to spend around AU$1,500 - $2,000 for 5-7 days on accommodation.

Any advice would be much appreciated on area and hotels!

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
North Shore
North Shore
1,027 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,877 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui Help - which area is best for mid 20's couple?

Sounds like you want Kaanapali. Here's a little map... kaanapaliresort.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/…

Several hotels offer free shuttles into Lahaina. It's a nice area for a compromise.

Edited: 16 January 2014, 01:48
Mentioned in this post
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,518 Reviews
Maui, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,309 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui Help - which area is best for mid 20's couple?

Cocktails and drinks on the beach... check out Hula Grill in Whaler's Village (West Maui, Ka'anapali Beach)

Note that actually drinking on the beach is illegal. Lots of people still do, discreetly, plastic cups, no glass please!

Quite a few hotels for you to choose from along Ka'anapali Beach, and the boardwalk will be perfect for your morning run.... along with lots of others!

Golfing is great up in Kapalua, north of Ka'anapali

Shopping in Wailer's Village, all along Front Street in Lahaina, or in South Maui, and the Shops at Wailea

Nightlife is mostly in Kihei area, south Maui, but there can be some found in Ka'anapali area or in Lahaina as well.

For restaurants, make use of the links on the right hand side of this page, top questions section.

Mentioned in this post
Hula Grill Kaanapali
Hula Grill Kaanapali
5,912 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Ka'anapali Beach
Ka'anapali Beach
7,854 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Ka'anapali
Ka'anapali
Maui, HI
Lahaina Front Street
Lahaina Front Street
4,406 Reviews
Maui, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
United States
Level Contributor
5,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui Help - which area is best for mid 20's couple?

2000 Australian Dollars equals around 1780 US Dollars, if my Googling is correct...

For a 7 night vacation, that's only 250 USD to cover the room rate and resort fees/parking fees and 13.416% tax.

Have you tried punching in your dates into some hotels you are interested in? You may be in for some sticker shock, especially if you are set on a Wailea area hotel.

Mentioned in this post
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui Help - which area is best for mid 20's couple?

I was thinking the same thing that budget is not going to get you a 4-5 star hotel on Maui.

Like Joan said since drinking is technically illegal you will not find anywhere that serves drinks on the beach.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,236 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui Help - which area is best for mid 20's couple?

Take a look at places in Kihei. Wailea is the most expensive area on Maui. Kihei is just a 5 minute drive down the road and is a beach town as opposed to a planned resort community like Kaanapali.

Mentioned in this post
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,518 Reviews
Maui, HI
San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,895 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui Help - which area is best for mid 20's couple?

if you like Wailea you might look at the Andaz. Just opened, we toured it in October, more modern than the traditional Hawaiian resort, might attract a younger crowd. Also Four Seasons Wailea is great. There are a few reviews on Trip Advisor from people who have actually stayed there at the Andaz Also Wailea Marriott, older property but great adult only infinity pool.|

http://www.maui.andaz.hyatt.com

Mentioned in this post
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
United States
Level Contributor
965 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui Help - which area is best for mid 20's couple?

Kaanapali for what you seek, no question.

Mentioned in this post
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,518 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Level Contributor
2,865 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui Help - which area is best for mid 20's couple?

There is yoga at the Mana Kai resort at the south end of Kihei. This is close to Wailea.

Mentioned in this post
Mana Kai Maui
Mana Kai Maui
557 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
9. Re: Maui Help - which area is best for mid 20's couple?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2015, 05:18