We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Four night luxury hotel stay in February -- opinions please!

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
130 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Four night luxury hotel stay in February -- opinions please!

Which hotel/resort would you recommend for a short stay at the beginning of February? Strongly considering the west side since we haven't stayed there before but am a bit concerned about weather. What is Kapalua likely to be like weather wise?

Which resort is best (in your personal opinion) for a family with two young teens? Would want either suite (with separate bedroom) or rooms that connect. Not particularly interested in rooms with two queens for all four of us. Just not sure which resorts offer connecting rooms.

Looking forward to some opinions. Thanks.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,839 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Four night luxury hotel stay in February -- opinions please!

My main concern for you at this point would be availability. You are planning very, very late. As an aside, please make sure that your car is reserved pronto.

Wet weather could hit anywhere ... wind and rain more likely in Kapalua.

On Ka'anapali, I would look at the Hyatt.

You may end up in Wailea in South Maui. Where did you stay before?

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
661 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Four night luxury hotel stay in February -- opinions please!

Assuming there is space for what you want, I'd go to the Sheraton just for the location with younger teens but there's nothing wrong with the Hyatt (great pools), a (1) bedroom condo at Honua Kai or up in Kapalua.

You never know with the weather and NO weather site is reliable when it comes to Hawaii as far as I'm concerned. I just came back from Maui. We stayed 3 days in Kaanaplai and 5 days in Napili. In those (8) days, only (1) was predicted to be sunny but it was sunny EVERY day. We never did have any rain during the day and it was predicted 6 out of 8 days.

Edited: 16 January 2014, 22:03
LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Four night luxury hotel stay in February -- opinions please!

I'd stay in south Maui, not Kapalua in February

Four Seasons is very nice if you want luxury

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Four night luxury hotel stay in February -- opinions please!

Fairmont Kea Lani in Wailea is an all suite resort. Might be less rainy there than Kapulua at that time of year.

Has a sofa bed and entertainment center in living room, separate private bedroom and large bathroom, mini frig and microwave. Couple of pools including adult only, nice beach

fairmont.com/kea-lani-maui/accommodations/

Here is a good summary of Maui weather:

…sailtrilogy.com/understanding-mauis-wind-we…

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,381 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Four night luxury hotel stay in February -- opinions please!

Or... the Honua Kai? It's not a resort in the full sense of the word, but a very nice condo, with resort amenities. It would just give you so much more room than a resort room would. It is north of Black Rock, and has a full kitchen. That doesn't mean you have to use it to cook all the time, but it would sure be handy for snacks for the two teens! And so easy for breakfasts too, as you aren't wasting time sitting in a restaurant every morning before you can start the adventures for the day.

Way more privacy for mom and dad too.

Don't forget to pack binoculars and book a whale watch tour too!!!

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,262 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Four night luxury hotel stay in February -- opinions please!

I avoid Kapalua until mid to late March.

What's the budget? Wailea has the Four Seasons, the new Andaz, The Fairmont, The Marriott Wailea, Makena Beach Resort is a few minutes south of Wailea, with transport.

Some condos rent for as little as four nights. Destination Maui has nice lodgings in South Maui.

TODAY: Reserve your rental vehicle, and any luau or restaurant or whale watch you want.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,558 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Four night luxury hotel stay in February -- opinions please!

However....the weather has been nicer up on the west, northwest than south lately..wow, saw some pictures of that rain they were getting in Kihei and that was crazy!

But really, you can get rain storms anywhere in the winter. The Kona storm they have been getting now has moved from the south up north. You just never know. Kapalua does get more rain, but most of that comes at night and then through some passing showers. If you want to avoid that and stay in the Kaanapali area, I'd look at the Sheraton or Honua Kai as a great option of more space but hotel-like features.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
3,966 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Four night luxury hotel stay in February -- opinions please!

I'd look at the condo "resorts" such as Ka'anpali Ali'i and further north Honua Kai... even a renovated unit at the Maui Ka'anapali Villas would suffice.

Luxury resorts include the Four Seasons, the all-suite Fairmont, and the rather new Hyatt Andaz all in Wailea... plus the Ritz out in Kapalua but as noted that isn't the best winter destination. The Andaz would be the least expensive, of the Wailea trio, but the rooms are small. I'd be looking for a two bedroom condo myself, but adjoining hotel rooms could work.

Edited: 17 January 2014, 01:22
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,262 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Four night luxury hotel stay in February -- opinions please!

It's the WIND up on the bluffs in Kapalua. Lovely breezes through the pines in summer and calmer oceans; not as welcome in winter.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
130 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Four night luxury hotel stay in February -- opinions please!

Thanks for all the suggestions!