We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort advice please? Maui

K M
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
175 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Resort advice please? Maui

Hi Experts,

I asked a question on the Oahu forum and it was suggested to post on each island forum to get expert advice.

At the present I cannot decide between the islands. I keep going back and forth and back and forth between Oahu and the other islands so much that I have confused myself.

Originally my idea was to stay on Oahu as it was the most convenient, however finding out that I can’t get the resort I am searching for in the right location and between $300-$400(tops) a night I figured I would go back to searching other islands.

Basically next January we are going on a holiday to parts of America and Hawaii will be our last stop on the path back home to relax after our big trip.

We are trying to find something that will give us a feel of being somewhere different and new. We don't just want to stay in a hotel on a beach and feel like we are just at home (Australia).

The best place we have stayed at holidaying before was at a hotel in Thailand which the resort had nice grounds with immaculate lawns and trees and fishponds. It didn't feel like home (good thing), we actually felt like we were in a different culture. The smells, the sights the decor everything was amazing.

I have been looking for a nice resort with nice grounds and great pool and hopefully either a walk to/or on the beach. However, I am not a fan of waves. Well big waves anyway! I like the Ko Olina Lagoons on Oahu, but the resorts there are $500 up.

If we need to rent a car that is fine. Even though our focus is on a relaxing resort, we would still like to sight see.

We will be in Hawaii for 6 days (excluding the days we fly in and out of Hawaii). We might be able to add on a day as well.

I have gone through all the resorts and found a couple that look nice and might suit.

Can anyone give me advice on this resort or other suggestions?

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and spa

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,092 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resort advice please? Maui

The Hyatt Regency is at the extreme south end of Ka'anapali Beach. The beach in front is very narrow, but it isn't a far walk north to get to the wider section. Great pools at the Hyatt, so lots of kids. They are having ongoing construction, so if you go ahead with this resort, do ask about where your room is located.

January is a busy time, so you do want to get something booked asap. And the whales will be frolicking just off shore, so make sure you pack binoculars too!

I am assuming you need to connect to Sydney at the Honolulu airport? Where from the mainland USA are flying out of? Will your flight land in the evening, or morning? Will you be able to get a connecting flight to Maui right away?

You may very well want to spend your last night in Waikiki, before your flight back to Sydney. You can always do some last minute shopping too! Great shopping there for you.

Besides the Hyatt, do look at the Sheraton as well, and even the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel. They are both right on Ka'anapali Beach.

And yes, you will want a rental car. Maui does run out of rental cars during the busy whale season, so you will want to take care of that in a few months. I doubt you can reserve right now though... If you are not a Costco member, check DiscountHawaiiCarRental for a good price. Do not prepay, and check back every once in a while, as the rates often drop.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Resort advice please? Maui

We have been to Thailand. Don't know of anywhere to duplicate that exactly in Hawaii. Most of the resorts are designed with the beaches in mind and in places it can look a bit like Southern California. The Big iIsland is different, lots of lava fields, not as many beaches. The Mana Lani has a nice lagoon and some nice fish ponds

K M
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
175 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resort advice please? Maui

We haven't quite figured out flights yet because they are not out yet and it will be a lovely task for our travel agent to mess around with. we will have something like 5 or 6 flights. Ideally it would be nice to get a return Hawaiian airlines flight and add on the others but Hawaiian airlines gets up into NYC in the morning which is what we do not want, but anyway I will leave that for the travel agent haha.

There is roughly 7 flights a day from Oahu to Maui with GO! There is a good 20-25 with Hawaiian airlines, so hopefully we can get a connecting flight. I didn't realise how many flights they did a day! you wouldn't think they would need 25 flights of people a day!

Sheraton is out of out budget and I am not a fan of how all the buildings are built up around the pool of Ka'anapali beach club. I know, I'm picky lol.

K M
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
175 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Resort advice please? Maui

Majority of flights between Orlando and Oahu get in around 2-4pm, so it shouldn't be too hard to get a flight close to it.

If you haven't caught on it's Syd-NYC-Ft Lauderdale-Orlando- Hawaii-Syd

Edited: 16 January 2014, 23:57
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,618 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Resort advice please? Maui

You already have a LOT of airports in this trip. Most flights to Australia depart HNL early in the morning, meaning you must be near HNL the night before. Unless you have more time in Hawaii, I would fly into and out of HNL and stay right on Oahu. I'd stay Waikiki and hazard a night or two at Turtle Bay on Oahu's north shore. It may be cool and it may rain, but there is a sheltered bay to snorkel. Unless it would be 'old hat' for an Aussie, you might like the nearby Polynesian Cultural Center for an afternoon. Honolulu has Pearl Harbor and Punchbowl, the Iolani Palace, the Bishop Museum (not stuffy), and a lot of nightlife. Oahu is a beautiful, typically tropical island outside of Honolulu.

Look at The New Otani hotel on the edge of Waikiki for more quiet. The Royal Hawaiian is 'old Hawaii' and can be quieter than some, insulated by its' more extensive property. I wouldn't want to be stuck out at Ko Olina.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,010 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Resort advice please? Maui

Check out the Makana Beach Resort

www.makenaresortmaui.com/default-en.html

I don't think their pool is great...but it might have what you are looking for in other ways.

Also the Fairmont Kea Lani

www.fairmont.com/kea-lani-maui/…

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Resort advice please? Maui

You could take a look at the Makena Beach Resort in south Maui or maybe Napili Kai Resort up in Napili on the west side.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,010 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Resort advice please? Maui

Good one UNCMOM..Napili Kai is great also

http://www.napilikai.com/default-en.html

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,092 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Resort advice please? Maui

From Orlando to Honolulu??? A very long day, and quite a few time zones. Hopefully, you can get the flight to Maui as part of the ticket, because that way, you won't have to get your luggage until you get to Maui. You will be very tired when you get there. Try to avoid GO. Hawaiian Air is more reliable.

And yes, lots of flights. It is the only way residents can get from one island to another in a timely fashion. Unless you are taking the ferry from Maui to Molokai or Lana'i.

With your arrival time in the late afternoon, you will have time to grab the rental car, grab some snacks, and then head over to West Maui for check in time, then find a nice restaurant for dinner before you fall into bed!

Lots of great ideas while I was typing!

Edited: 17 January 2014, 01:06
K M
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
175 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Resort advice please? Maui

The Makena and Fairmont are out of our price range.

Would there not be big waves at Napilli Kai?