We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kapalua Bay

Saskatoon...
Level Contributor
754 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Kapalua Bay

I know this topic has been discussed at length... (please forgive me) but I'm curious about Kapalua in February - specifically, Kapalua Bay. Is it sheltered enough that it is still swimmable?

We have seen DT Flemming get pretty wild in April, for us anyway. Of our 4 visits we have stayed twice in both Kaanapali and Kihei. We are thinking that it would perhaps be fun to try out Kapalua next February and I have found some golf villas that fit our budget. I know that we can likely jump in the car and find good weather elsewhere but I'm not sure if we want to do that for an entire 2 1/2 weeks.

Thanks in advance for answering this very recycled question! :)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kapalua Bay

Kapulua Bay is usually great for swimming and snorkeling. April is the end of the rainy season. Kapalua tends to get a bit more trade wind sprinkles as it does not have as much protection from the mountains. At that time of year wouldn't think that much of a problem. South Maui is actually having a drought so it is usually very dry there. You might split it up just for the variety of beaches and things to see. You have plenty of time to make a nice stay in both places

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kapalua Bay

sorry misread your post. Feb is still in the rainy season, could get rain anywhere, still think the comparisons are similar

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,588 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kapalua Bay

Hello! Check out this recent thread for a bunch of info.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k710989…

Many people say they would never stay in Kapalua in winter...however a lot of those people have never stayed there and have only done "pass thrus" to see what weather may be.

I have stayed there the last couple years during March- going back 20 days again this March and this last Christmas for 2 weeks and we couldn't have had more perfect weather. Can that be guaranteed? No, because there are winter storms. However, generally, most of the rain comes at night and some pass through showers during the day. Kapalua is lush for a reason- the rain - but it makes for great rainbows.

Now Kapalua Bay- that is NOT a guarantee either. If there is a really big north swell it will not be the best... For snorkeling it gets kicked up and a little murky. It is more protected though so during a lot of the "regular" ocean time- not a swell, it will be fine. It was great during Christmas this year. Last March it was half and half. If you just want to lay there on the beach and use it for swimming,...to dip in to cool off...you would be fine usually. But for snorkeling it can lose visibility.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,389 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kapalua Bay

Would I personally stay in Kapalua during February? No. But plenty of people do. I've seen the weather be gorgeous during this time and absolutely awful. No way of telling. It sits at the bottom of the west Maui mountains where the trade winds bring in the showers. I would have no problem going up there to snorkel if the surf report dictates good snorkeling.

Kenai, Alaska
Level Contributor
360 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kapalua Bay

We go late Feb/ early March 2 wks every year & stay in Napili. We pretty much exclusively swim/play in Napili Bay & Kapalua Bay. We have had some years w/wind & rain on some days & some years all sun (yay!). It has been a rare occasion when Kapalua or Napili was too rough to swim (yes it can happen, & maybe we've lucked out as only 1 or 2 times has it been unusually rough with big swells). We have also gone up to DT Fleming for a change up & I know exactly what you are talking about. The waves were so big that my 4 year old didn't even want to play in the surf-nor would I have wanted him to-older kids loved it. In contrast,on our way home, Napili Bay had no waves-couldn't even boogie board. My point is DT Fleming can be very different than Kapalua &Napili Bay (you can walk between the two-we have multiple times). Hope that helps!

Saskatoon...
Level Contributor
754 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kapalua Bay

Thank you all for helpful opinions! I'm still on the fence but will have to take my leap of faith soon. I've been sending availability requests for condo's all over (Kihei, Kaanapali and Kapalua) and there are many that are already booked up!

7. Re: Kapalua Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2015, 05:19