We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

It is So Hard To Pick Somewhere To Stay!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
It is So Hard To Pick Somewhere To Stay!

I'm finding it very hard to know which part of the island to stay on and which type of accommodation to pick! I know everyone is different but it seems there is so much to choose from and it's getting confusing! We have never been to Maui before, but have been to the Big Island and Kauai. On the Big Island we stayed at Nancy's Hideaway, which was great - far enough away from Kona, a self contained little cabin surrounded by gardens and breakfast was stocked in our fridge each day. Something similar would be great for Maui, but I haven't been able to find anything yet. I have thought of staying in Hana as I know that will be an area we will love, but at the same time I don't want to miss any of Hawaii's great restaurants so am not sure about this. We don't really like the big hotel chains. A condo with a pool area would be good too. I guess I enjoy nature more than being in areas that are more commercial, but would still like to be not too far from restaurants (no more than half an hour I guess). Does anyone have any suggestions?

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,349 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: It is So Hard To Pick Somewhere To Stay!

Well since we have no idea of your nightly budget we are just spinning our wheels. The only spot I can think of is Traavasa out in Hana, but it's pricy and you are hours from good restaurants! It also depends on time of year.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
359 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: It is So Hard To Pick Somewhere To Stay!

Have you looked at Maui Tradewinds in Haiku area? They have a cottage that is by itself and also a suite that is underneath the owner's home. We have stayed in the suite and love it there. It is away from the resorts. Bev and David (owners) have the kitchen stocked with some breakfast items. They provide beach chairs, towels, etc. It is out in the country, but you can drive to the beach. Paia and Mama's Fish House area are about 20 minutes away.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: It is So Hard To Pick Somewhere To Stay!

Well, that's a paradox we hear alot: visitors want a sense of seclusion - yet want access to restaurants, shops and activities. It sure doesn't sound like you want Hana! But you need to tell us how many nights you will be on Maui. Perhaps an overnight or two there is doable.

Unless I am missing it - we don't know

1) when you are coming

2) how many nights you will be on Maui

3) who "we" is

4) if you are staying on other Islands this trip as well

5) what your nightly accomodations budget is

6) if you want to be on or near the beach

7) if you are planning to rent a car

8) what you want to do on Maui ... what attracted you to Maui

Here is a place that has always intrgued me: Ho'olilko House. http://www.hooilohouse.com It's close enough to Lahaina and Ka'anapali - yet tucked away.

Here's a website that will give you Maui's resorts/hotels/condo complexes. If you scroll down, you'll get aerial views. I generally disregard their commentary, but you may want to make a list of properties that interest you ... so you can start to pull up their websites.

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/maui/mau…

If you don't have a good map and travel guidebook for Maui - I'd make it a priority.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,410 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: It is So Hard To Pick Somewhere To Stay!

"no more than half an hour" from restaurants...

That eliminates Hana, but I wonder about Haiku. It wouldn't be far from restaurants in Paia, but most of the beaches there are not swim-able. You would have another half hour to 45 minutes drive to get to a nice beach, in Kihei area (south Maui). And it would not be a condo, but a private rental, a cabin or cottage. I'd check out nursear's recommendation. http://www.mauitradewinds.com/

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: It is So Hard To Pick Somewhere To Stay!

Chill out and just enjoy. It makes little difference. It's Maui.

New England
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: It is So Hard To Pick Somewhere To Stay!

OH I remember that frustration of being overwhelmed with trying to figure out the area to stay in. The advice to read about the different parts of the island was very helpful for me. I was going to be there in whale season and that is important to me , so that made my decision on where to stay easier. Once that was narrowed down I found 2 or 3 condos and put them out here on TA for advice. People gave feedback and suggestions. I think finding a condo was the most difficult part of my research........ Good luck and keep plugging away at it.

New England
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: It is So Hard To Pick Somewhere To Stay!

Also when I started to read the review on VRBO site that helped me figure out what I wanted. The comments of it being windy....... most of the time........... made me eliminate that area. another comment about the size of the condo complex helped me realize what I wanted.

Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: It is So Hard To Pick Somewhere To Stay!

Just booked a place after looking through 100's and saw several that might fit what you want.

North Shore: http://www.spyglassmaui.com or http://www.donnachameleon.com

Near Makena ( and not ridiculously expensive): …craigslist.org/mau/apa/4285039488.html

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: It is So Hard To Pick Somewhere To Stay!

Thanks everyone - the Spyglass Maui rentals look great - not to expensive either, will look further into those. It does seem a lot of places on Maui are more expensive compared to the other two islands we have visited, and obviously you compare where you have stayed in the past. But some great suggestions!

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: It is So Hard To Pick Somewhere To Stay!

HI Katrina, just like you I am finding it really difficult to accomodation & very confused. Maui is quite expensive.

good luck.