We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honolua snorkeling in March

New England
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
174 reviews
Save Topic
Honolua snorkeling in March

Time is getting closer and I need to get some research done on snorkeling. From what I have read it sounds like Honolua Bay is perfect. Is it best to go on a tour or by yourself? I like the idea of a tour, but if it is murky that day and they decide to go someplace else we would be paying money for a place that isn't really the place we want to go.

If we go on our own we are we not going to be able to see as much?.

If we decide to go with a boat tour then we could try to wait and book at the last minute. Not sure if that would work ?

Any companies that are preferred?

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,682 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honolua snorkeling in March

March will be iffy if you can snorkel Honolua or not. All depends on the swells. At The 2 weeks of Christmas, boats were there almost every day. There was a swell that came in for a few days and it was the surfing spot..not snorkel. Last March some days were good and some weren't. You can snorkel the same area of the bay whether you take a tour there or go on your own. If you go on your own, you do need to swim out a little ways and it is a rocky, more difficult entry. If boats don't go there because of the surf, they have other fun places to go. In March, tours like Trilogy will be booked so best to make reservations ahead.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,756 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honolua snorkeling in March

Good advice from travelbugged - just to add, we've snorkelled there frequently but never on a tour. You can drive there quite easily and hike the short trail in, which is a fun hike through a 'jungle'. If it's not a snorkelling day, you can try Kapalua Bay or Kahekili Beach, depending on water conditions. If you decide to do it on your own, I would still book a water tour of some sort during your stay - whale watch or sunset sail.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,688 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honolua snorkeling in March

Don't forget, that any snorkel tour you do book can double as a whale watching tour, so pack binoculars too!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,965 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honolua snorkeling in March

I like the boat tours because it so much easier to get into the water at Honolua. If the boats don't go out to Honolua they will go somewhere just as good. You could always go by shore another day.

New England
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honolua snorkeling in March

so if we decide to go by shore how to we find it? Is it a marked trail or path?

Edited: 18 January 2014, 22:43
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,682 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honolua snorkeling in March

Drive past Kapalua and DT Fleming beach and stay on the road. Eventually you will see a pull out where you can look out over the bay on your left. You will keep driving past that and down the hill...once you go over a one lane bridge the small parking lot is on left, but people park off road also..just make sure you are fully off-road so no ticket. There are usually people selling stuff in that lot so not a lot of room...5-6 cars. There used to be a different entrance, but that was technically closed off. Here you follow a little trail through the jungle until you reach the bay. Just watch out for falling Mangos!

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,756 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honolua snorkeling in March

There aren't any signs, but you'll see cars parked at two of the trail access points. Here it is on google maps - click on "directions", enter your starting point in "A" and it will give you the directions: http://goo.gl/maps/umAoo

I would try to be there for around 9 a.m. (or a bit earlier) for parking and fewer people.

We go in at the old boat ramp (or what's left of it) - it's in the middle of the bay, and a little easier entry than trying to walk in over the rocks.

Edited: 18 January 2014, 22:55
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,682 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honolua snorkeling in March

Also...it is all rock....a little sand to the left of beach but that is where a stream goes in and can be mucky and murky there. We usually get our masks ready, make a pile of our flip flops and walk holding our flippers down the old concrete ramp...you will see it. We walk until it gets slippery from moss/algae then sit down and scoot until the end on our butts. Put masks and flippers on and glide into water pushing off from ramp. Some people balance on those rocks, but I've seen some people go down. We found our way the easiest. Getting out, swim up to ramp, pull up on and sit to take things off then walk off. Good luck!

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,756 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honolua snorkeling in March

That's exactly how we do it travelbugged. I wear snorkel socks, and they give a better grip on the slippery ramp. I was going to suggest to the OP that they watch a few others go in to see how to do it and how not to do it - your way is "how to do it". :)

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,682 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honolua snorkeling in March

Exactly Susan! I have watched too many people spill over those rocks.! It sounds complicated, but actually is not that bad if you do it this way.