We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday 01/19/2014: Surf's up!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
53,749 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Sunday 01/19/2014: Surf's up!

Folks who are interested might want to google "maui webcams" and wander thru some of them. I am not linking any of the sites here cause they are all really commercial (grrr).

Charley Young and Kam beaches have about 3 foot, nice straight rollers. Lahaina town is flat, Laniupoko is picking up some. I am betting Olowalu and Ukemehame are good too, cause they aren't sheltered by Lana'i or Moloka'i. NW near Kahana is decent, but not that big, maybe 3 feet. Kaanapali is pretty flat. Napili Bay is flat as can be right now. Kapalua looks calm, but will pick up later, I think. Honolua may already be up, can't see it over Nick the Wonder Dog's big ears.

The real star, of course--is Ho'okipa. Looks like it's well over 20 ft. faces already, very heavy and close waves. Magnificent to watch, dangerous for anyone but real experts. Jaws is prob at 40 ft., could be even bigger as the day goes on.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,778 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunday 01/19/2014: Surf's up!

That sentence about Nick's ears reminded me of "Lilo and Stitch"! I love the scene when they are all out surfing, and Stitch gets up on the board!

Must find a web cam... thanks sw!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,380 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunday 01/19/2014: Surf's up!

Along with that, a warning to stay of rocks and the beach by the rough surf. There were reports of quite a few people needing to be rescued on Oahu's north shore that were being swept out by waves. Happens on Maui as well. Be careful out there!

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
53,749 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunday 01/19/2014: Surf's up!

Good point!

Yesterday a woman was trying to walk down to Jaws,,,,,,,,,,,broke her leg badly when she slipped and fell off the trail--and she wasn't even near any shoreline!

Spokane
Level Contributor
839 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunday 01/19/2014: Surf's up!

Amazing! Thanks for sharing. I looked at the Ho'okipa cam....WILD!!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunday 01/19/2014: Surf's up!

Watching the wave action at a Ho'okipa is such fun.......wish we were there. Thanks for the heads up sw and TB4! Deb

Socal
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunday 01/19/2014: Surf's up!

Town looks like fun, North Shore looks out of control!

That swell is hitting us as well, and every spot is packed. I have tomorrow off from work and may get some beach time.

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
53,749 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunday 01/19/2014: Surf's up!

Yeah, it will be a busy day for EMS. The train rolling in Wednesday or so is supposed to be even bigger.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
409 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunday 01/19/2014: Surf's up!

I'm jealous! I wish I was there!

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunday 01/19/2014: Surf's up!

Our local paper posted a pic of a local surfer, Peter Mel at Jaws yesterday riding a 40 footer...what a sight it would be!

Hope everyone is save and sound if they chose to view Mother Nature.

Babs

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,931 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunday 01/19/2014: Surf's up!

Tomorrow waves will be at epic proportions on the north facing shores. They are talking double warning size which means 50 feet. Great to watch but from as far away as you can get on the beaches!! Be careful and don't be "that guy"!!