We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Day 12 of 14

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Day 12 of 14

Day 12 - Sunday, December 29, 2013

Slept in today, woke up around 10. I guess all these activities are taking a toll on me.

I suggest to The Girls we lounge at the beach in front of the Westin. We can hang the new hammock around those really cool trees. Pack a bag, grab the snorkel gear and off we go...

The surf is rough today, like yesterday, and the winds are blowing. Very different from when we arrived on Maui on December 18. We tried to snorkel but the conditions were not good. DW remembered the advice from our outrigger guide and refused to go in. DD agreed and was having none of it, not even wanting to swim. I of course go in and at least try. The visibility was poor, really poor. Figured if I go further out it will get better. The visibility did get better however the surf was rough. I head back to shore at least knowing I tried! The rest of the day is spent at the pool. DD has another important date with the slide.

After a few hours, DW suggest we go to the gym then go to the Sheraton for the dive ceremony. Visions of my sunset sail adventure from day 3 enter my mind....

This time, I opt to drive to the Sheraton, use valet since we are running late. It's not crowded and we get a table right away. Order nachos and an adult beverage for me. Ceremony was ok. Was able to take a pic of The Girls was/ the Diver. Watched the sunset then headed out. I was given a discount for the valet since we ate at the restaurant, $5 total. Not bad.

Decided to go to the movies tonight so off we go to Lahaina. I was gonna go to the Maui mall but it was to far and was afraid we wouldn't make show time, so settled on Lahaina. Nice little theater tucked in the back. I was surprised with the number of visitors. The theater was pretty full.

After the movies we walked around for a bit, tried to get something to eat but it was after 9 and kitchens were closed. Decided to head back to HK and play cards.

Not much today, sort of took it easy and had quality family time. Our vacation is coming to an end, only 2 full days left :(

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Day 12 of 14

I am so going to miss your reports when your trip is "over".

Must be fun for you reliving it this way. Hope my trip reports will be half as good as yours when we go next month!

Thanks for another great report.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Day 12 of 14

Your family really settled into Maui and island time! Do you have plans to come back or visit another island? I am at the point where I need to have my next vacation booked before I can go on the one I am currently counting down.....

Loved movie night! Apparently that is a must do when on vacation with our 24 year old son and since we don't carouse the bar scene, we enjoy finding a movie and hanging out in a dark theater. Sorry snorkeling wasn't great towards the end. You guys easily found other plans and had an enviable good time. Thanks for continuing the fun.......Deb

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,778 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Day 12 of 14

A nice day, but all accounts, you tried to snorkel, daughter made her date with the slide, your wife got to the gym, and everyone got to take in a movie!

I am curious if you got to the Sheraton in time to see some of the entertainment at their luau. I don't think they have the luau going every night of the week though.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
53,746 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Day 12 of 14

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo.................................only a couple left?? Unfair, I cry foul!

Sounds like you were easing into Island style!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,377 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Day 12 of 14

Yeah! It's been a couple busy, crazy days for me, but I thought I'd quick look and happy to see your report!

Yep..we tried to snorkel there that day as well and no good! Definitely "sharky" surf. Bad visibility. I was talking to a few local divers and they said definitely not a good time to snorkel. It was clearer on the other side of Black Rock so we just swam there. Love that you all just go with the flow.

I'll be sad to see your reports end!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,924 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - Day 12 of 14

Thanks for reporting, Beer, enjoying it!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - Day 12 of 14

DP - Sadly I will also miss my reports. It is giving me the opportunity to relive my vacation.

Deb - yes, movie night is always fun. Do I have plans to return? Well, not sure the exact day it happened but DW wants to retire on Maui. She is even watching Hawaiian life!

Joan - didn't see a luau but there was a women performing.

Tb4 - I did notice later in the day the surf wasn't as bad at the Sheraton. Was wondering if that is normal.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,377 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - Day 12 of 14

It can be normal.....all along the west it gets protected more then other areas because of the other islands. It takes a really good wrap around swell to get the part you were on- north of black rock. South of Black rock will usually be affected by other types of swells. The beach is way different also. During the summer, there is no beach in front of Whalers village a lot if the time...the water comes up too far. Winter, there is a lot of beach.

Level Contributor
35,740 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - Day 12 of 14

Make the most of your last two days and keep us posted, your reports are fun to read! :)

10. Re: Trip Report - Day 12 of 14

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2015, 05:19