We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getaway day strategy

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
63 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Getaway day strategy

What's, your getaway day strategy for heading back to the east coast on a late night flight. Do you find something to entertain after checking out? Is it worth the extra money. For an extra nights room. Should we book somewhere cheap near the airport for a day. Any guidance would be helpful..

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getaway day strategy

Yes indeed, with a late flight, extending your reservation is key to turning your departure day into a bonus day. Rates will vary depending on where you're staying. It's worth asking about before just booking the extra night for full rate. My favourite place only charges 1/2 day for late check out and rental agreement states it's mine until 11pm. Too bad I have to leave by 6!

Wonderful to have the condo/room all day to do as you please without the worry of your unattended luggage in the trunk and the access to a shower to freshen up before your long journey.

I also found it a good idea to have some sort of activity planned for a good portion of that day so you don't watch the clock. Half day snorkel tour, a hike and a picnic somewhere, whatever will leave a nice Maui glow with you.

Hotel near the airport is another option. Choice is marginal though.The Marriott is new but overpriced IMO. The Maui Seaside would be a budget alternative I would consider. Good starting point for exploring Upcountry, Paia, Iao Valley & Wailuku or maybe a halfway to Hana jaunt.

We tend to 'clean up the fridge' for dinner but a nice dinner out would be a good thing too.

Edited: 24 January 2014, 06:19
Mentioned in this post
Paia
Paia
Maui, HI
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
ON, Canada
Level Contributor
14,168 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getaway day strategy

It's an often asked question, but someone who recently asked about this on the Island of Hawaii forum, then decided to call the hotel to see what the options were and reported back that the hotel provided several options for late check out (if the hotel isn't fully booked) that were less expensive than the rate for a full night's accommodation. I think most people think you either have to pay for a full night or get a couple hours extended checkout, but that poster was given options for check out into the evening hours (at a fee.)

If an evening check out isn't an option and you are going to pay for an extra night's accommodation, suggest doing it where you are already staying if it's affordable. It would be a lot more enjoyable to be able to stay there until it's time to head to the airport instead of packing up in the morning and then checking into an airport hotel mid afternoon.

If it's a condo and not a hotel that you're staying in, ask the owner about an evening check out (if it's not booked that night.)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Getaway day strategy

Some hotels have a hospitality room where you can shower, etc before your flight. If you store your luggage with them and keep out what you will need for the day and flight home, you can spend the day at the hotel pool or beach and maximize the day. In the evening we always head to Paia to walk around, last minute shop, and have dinner. Then we head to the airport and return the rental car and take a late night flight.

Mentioned in this post
Paia
Paia
Maui, HI
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,860 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getaway day strategy

Beach in the am, spa for massage and to get ready in afternoon, a nice dinner at sunset to end the trip.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,832 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getaway day strategy

We usually head directly to the airport, after we check out of our condo. American lets you check in very early, so we'll get our boarding passes and drop off luggage. That takes a lot of the stress out of get-away day, since there's no luggage in the car and there's one less line to worry about at the airport. We then head up-country and walk around Makawao, checking out some of the store. We then head back down the hill and do the same in Paia. We used to end the day with dinner at Mamas, but I'm starting to side with the "it's overpriced crowd", so we'll probably skip that this year. Then back down to the car rental return, shuttle to airport, and go.

Secret tip (not so secret). If you gas up in Paia (usually the same price as Kahului), you can take the short cut, back road into the airport, avoiding the intersection and lights by the K-Mart.

Mentioned in this post
Makawao
Makawao
Maui, HI
Paia
Paia
Maui, HI
Kahului
Kahului
Maui, HI
NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getaway day strategy

Definitely if you can book your place for that day do it.

Our next trip in May we don't fly out of HNL till 10:30 pm so I booked the extra day that will almost give us it will be such a pleasure to not have to pack the night before and still enjoy some beach time.

Leaving is the pits :-(

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,006 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getaway day strategy

Some people check out ... lock up their goodies in the trunk .. and slowly make their way to the airport. Maybe a nice dinner at Mama's on the way home. Maui Ocean Center. Bailey House.

8. Re: Getaway day strategy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2015, 06:19