We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mother-daughters trip

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Mother-daughters trip

To celebrate my amazing daughters & their respective graduations -- one from DePaul, one from middle school ;) -- we're taking a 9-day trip to Maui in June. And believe me, this is welcome distraction from our unending snow & cold (20 below zero!) in Chicago this winter!

My unending gratitude to everyone here: I've been pouring over the boards looking for ideas for our trip. Based on info here, we decided to just "do" one island. I've already nabbed a beautiful condo at MKV, reserved a convertible (!) & bought tickets to the Old Lahaina Luau. Trying to decide if we'd rather drive the Road to Hana or take a tour; we'll definitely to drive out to Haleakala and poke around on a different day.

We'd like to snorkel a bit and beach hop, of course. But we are explorers by nature and I come to you asking what else shouldn't be missed? We love a fun beach excursion as much as a day at the museum & though we aren't super outdoors people, a nice hike would be delightful!

We have a stack of guidebooks, but I always end up here.

Thanks so much for whatever suggestions you can offer!

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,105 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mother-daughters trip

If it's the five of you (in your avatar), I'd say drive the RTH yourselves. You can can stop whenever you like. I think you'll enjoy the MKV's. Good beach and snorkeling close by.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
170 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mother-daughters trip

Also, if there are 5 of you, you may not fit in the convertible. I just asked about a convertible, and was told all they have is 4 seats. Have a great time!

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mother-daughters trip

Nope. Just a girls trip this time. My girls picked Hawaii because we like the beach more than my DH & DS!

We're really leaning towards driving the RTH ourselves. We've spent most summers driving all over the US, so I think the road won't scare us!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,713 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mother-daughters trip

I really think you'd have fun driving the RTH by yourselves, the drive is easy and once you have gone over a couple one lane bridges, you get a feel for doing it and it is easy. My husband serves a s a look-out for me on upcoming traffic and just hug the inside lane one your way there. Bring a cooler full of yummy lunch treats for Wai'anapanapa State Park, hike the Pipiwai Trail and have an easy meandering day. I would highly recc the Bailey House Museum, Iao Valley, Stillwells for their pastries and lilikoi cheesecake! There is so much to do and the island is easy to just wander all over having fun.

You might really enjoy a day spent driving upcountry and that would be separate from your RTH day. Lunch at Kula Bistro, wandering the Lavendar Farm and getting some tea and warm scones on the lanai. I prefer self driving to tours because we like being able to stop wherever and whenever and for however long we want to stop. The art galleries in Makawao would be terrific to find treasures. Don't forget the swap meet on Saturday morning at the Maui college. Have fun planning your good times. Deb

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,373 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mother-daughters trip

You and your girls are going to love Maui. Do a snorkel trip aboard a catamaran. Nothing like being out on the water and in it on Maui!!

You may want to hike the Pipiwai Trail on your Hana Day. The trailhead is at Oheo Gulch. The trail ends at the largest waterfall on Maui.

Drive down to south Maui one day, take your snorkeling equipment, lots of good places down there to snorkel too. Drive all the way south past Makena to LaPerouse Bay. This is the site of the last lava flow on Maui. Very different than the rest of the island.

Upcountry too, so gorgeous!!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,461 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mother-daughters trip

Take a look at the Trilogy day trip to Lanai...wonderful crew and a gorgeous boat ride with snorkeling and never-ending food.

Congrats to you and your girls!

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mother-daughters trip

Thank you so much for all these great suggestions!

We DO like to meander on our own so I LOVE these ideas. I assume there will be bigger crowds in June? (We're there June 17-25). Is there anything I should reserve early to make sure we don't miss it?

Thank you!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,373 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mother-daughters trip

Book anything in advance that is a "must do" for you. In June the boat tours will fill up the fastest. Book early in your stay that way if the weather should be bad or you run into a glitch you will still have time to re-book. Just make sure you are fully aware of the cancellation policies.

9. Re: Mother-daughters trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2015, 06:19