We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions of best resorts to stay on Maui?

Lafayette, Louisiana
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Suggestions of best resorts to stay on Maui?

Hi everyone!

I know this question has been asked over and over, and I spent the past couple of nights staying up to the wee hours of the morning scanning over all the threads...but I still would like some help from you all :)

Fiancé and I will be honeymooning in Maui in 2015. (Yes I am planning already :))

We started looking at the Four Seasons, but decided against it because it is out of our budget..and it makes no sense for us to spend so much on a resort when we will be out and about all day.

We really liked the Ritz Carlton...but now I am have second thoughts since all the low ratings come from the fact that it didn't "live up the to Ritz Carlton's name"

We will be staying a week. We will be renting a car. We are planning to eat out at local eateries (we are big foodies) for breakfast and lunch...and do the popular restaurants for dinner (mama's fish house, etc)

Here are the things that we are looking for:

1.) resort- we like the over all feel of an resort over a condo/hotel. We are splurging a little since it is our honeymoon. So we want to do a little fancier than Hyatt/Sheraton/Westin etc

2.) multiple pools

3.) Not too many kids at the resort

4) Easy drive to nearby restaurants

5.) pretty shallow water beach (fiancé loves to snorkel in the ocean as I sunbathe)

6.) beach is not to far from the resort.

Here is my list of stuff I would like to do on our stay on Maui. We really are busy bodies...and looooove the scenic views! So anything with nature is a plus.

1. Zip line

2. Road to Hana

3. Hiking (any suggestions on where we should go? We can do a 4-5mile hike)

We are wanting 4/5 days out, and 2 days relaxing at the resort & beach and just taking it easy

Any other suggestions? I would like maybe add 1-2 more things we can do.

We open to about anything. I would love to do whale watching but I don't think it's a good time when we go? In September? I think we will skip on a Luau this time. I may be open to snorkeling again. We did it while in Cancun but the waters was sooo bad I got really sick from it. :( but I definitely loved it for the shirt time I wasn't sick :) so I may be up to doing it on Maui :)

Anyways, please help in suggestions for a resort for us! I truly appreciate any advice and help I can get! Thanks in advance :)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions of best resorts to stay on Maui?

Andaz and Fairmont Kea Lsni

Maui
Level Contributor
2,402 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions of best resorts to stay on Maui?

These two resorts down in Wailea might interest you. The new Andez by Hyatt & the Fairmont Kai Lani. The Marriott has a nice adult pool, but might not be as upscale as what you are looking for. Both have good beaches. The Kai Lani is more of a walk to the beach than the Andez. The Marriot sits bewtween 2 nice beaches.

chicago area
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions of best resorts to stay on Maui?

No whales in Sept. but good rates because of that fact and kids are back in school and the weather is still nice on most parts of the mainland, not like this weekend around these parts where we are waiting for minus 10 to 15 below with wind chills of 25 to 40 below for the next four days! Get a good guidebook or two and keep up on these forums.

Maui
Level Contributor
2,402 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions of best resorts to stay on Maui?

John and I typing at the same time......

Edited: 25 January 2014, 22:48
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,914 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions of best resorts to stay on Maui?

Welcome to TripAdvisor, Kimmie!

2015 --- well, it will creep up on us. Understand that there is no such thing as "best" - only what works for you.

The Four Seasons is over your budget? It is for most of us!

You are discarding the Ritz based on one review? Why? September is a great time for the Ritz!

The Sheraton Maui and the Hyatt are wonderful resorts. Wonderful. Don't think that you are slumming by staying at either.

Why do you want more than one pool? Some resorts have a pool for kids and another for adults (if the resort caters to kids). Some resorts have more than one pool for adults. I'd rather have one great pool that 2 not-great pools. In Hawaii, it's the beaches that draw the guests.

I understand about avoiding the kids on your honeymoon. We can steer your away from kid-magnets. September is definitely low season for kids.

The Hyatt and the Sheraton ... easy walking to restaurants. Finding restaurants within an easy drive is not a problem from most resorts.

Snorkeling from shore - not a problem, although I would encourage you to book a catamaran snorkeling sail, too (you can sunbathe on those, too!).

<<beach is not to far from the resort>> Not a problem.

You may change your mind about the luau.

Please understand that Hawaii is NOT like Mexico or the Caribbean. Using your experiences from either place will not help you plan for Hawaii.

Here is a rough map of the Ka'anapali resort area. If this come up small, click on it. kaanapaliresort.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/…

With this website, you can scroll down and click on the property that interests you - for an aerial view. I generally disregard their commentary. hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/maui/mau…

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions of best resorts to stay on Maui?

Chase/Hyatt has been having a promo sign up for their credit card spend $1000 in 90 days probably pretty easy with what you've go going and get 2 free nights. My wife and I each got a card and have 4 nights at the Hyatt Andaz might still have time

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions of best resorts to stay on Maui?

Yeah but you can spell!

Lafayette, Louisiana
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions of best resorts to stay on Maui?

Fiancé looked at Fairmont and didn't like it...he really does want to stay at an upscale resort...where I can stay anywhere. I'm in Maui, after all!!! But if anyone can persuade him to be cheaper, it's me. Lol

We usually are very "budget friendly" when traveling...skimp and splurge where it is wise. But finance is all "it's our honeymoon!!! Go big or don't go at all" lol! But I can't help but to want to save a little money on the resort we are staying...and we can spend more on food & adventures :)

Yes, I am bummed about the no whales in Sept. But I love that we are going at a "slow season".

Any other suggestions on resorts and excursions? :)

United States
Level Contributor
5,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions of best resorts to stay on Maui?

The Chase Hyatt card will give you two free nights at a Hyatt property but the free nights must be used within one year... So don't rush and sign up right now, if you're planning for Sept 2015.

https:/…hyatt-card.aspx

To qualify and receive your two Hyatt Gold Passport Free Night Awards, you must make Purchases totaling $1,000 USD, or more during the first three (3) months from account opening. (“Purchases” do not include balance transfers, cash advances, cash-like charges such as travelers checks, foreign currency, and money orders, any checks that access your account, overdraft advances, interest, unauthorized or fraudulent charges, or fees of any kind, including an annual fee, if applicable.) Each Free Night Award is valid for use within one (1) year from issuance for one (1) night in any available standard room at any Hyatt hotel or resort worldwide or participating M life resorts. Free Night Awards at Hyatt Zilara and Hyatt Ziva are only based on single or double occupancy. Awards are not transferable. After qualifying, please allow 10 days for your Free Night Award(s) to post to your Hyatt Gold Passport account. For complete terms and conditions of the Hyatt Gold Passport program including the use of Free Night Awards, see goldpassport.com. This one-time bonus offer is valid only for first-time Hyatt Credit Cardmembers with new accounts. Previous and existing Hyatt Credit Cardmembers/account are not eligible for this bonus offer. Chase is not responsible for offer fulfillment. If your account is not open for at least three (3) months, Hyatt and Chase reserve the right to deduct the Free Night Awards from your Hyatt Gold Passport account.

---

Each of you can apply for the card separately, and you can get four free nights, but I'd wait until much later this year to do so.

Edited: 25 January 2014, 23:03
San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions of best resorts to stay on Maui?

Ritz and 4S are 5 stars the rest name brands are mostly 4 star. The 4S is the most "upscale" and best on Maui . We have stayed there but it is probably the most expensive. The Ritz and 4S were just renewed on their 5 star status