We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Debit Cards

Marysville...
Level Contributor
401 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Debit Cards

Are debit cards generally accepted at restaurants and stores for goods? I know some places discourage anything but cash by charging a premium to use debit or credit cards. I don't care to carry large amounts of cash and usually rely on plastic.

tucson, az
Level Contributor
4,016 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Debit Cards

As long as it has a Visa or Mastercard logo you should be good to go. There may be specific stores that encourage cash but generally speaking you're good to go.

Marysville...
Level Contributor
401 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Debit Cards

Thanks. Good to know....I work in Harrisburg PA....the Capital City where it isn't a good idea to have a lot of cash with you ..... attracts a bad element if you know what I mean. I'm sure that isn't the case in Maui but I never cared for a large wad of money to take when I travel.

South Jersey
Level Contributor
3,253 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Debit Cards

I would strongly recomend using a credit card vs. a debit card. Transactions like restaurants, car rentals, gas stations and hotels could cause temporary holds on your bank account since these places often preauthorize set amounts and in the event of fraud a credit card will reverse the charges while investigating them while you could wait weeks or more to recover funds removed from your bank account.

4. Re: Debit Cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11 February 2014, 18:49
Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Debit Cards

We've been using our Visa debit card for over 10 years while on our trips to Hawaii. Never had a problem, never questioned about it. We don't use it for our car rentals however.

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
287 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Debit Cards

My debit card is from North Shore Credit Union here in Vancouver, Canada, and I do not have a Visa or Mc debit card. Is it highly doubtful that I could use it to buy goods and services in Maui? I do have a prepaid MC travel card which id really a prepaid credit card, so that should be fine. Do people still use travelers cheques? If not, I will just take a lot of cash, and put a lot of $$ on the prepaid MC.

Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Debit Cards

Canadian Debit Cards do not work for interact in the us. We can use bank machines though.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,063 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Debit Cards

Barb, we have used travelers' cheques in Hawaii. It is the ONLY place I use them in the world! And most places will accept them, although the people in line behind you can give you the "stink eye". Crazy Shirts is the only store that wouldn't take them. I always have my Drivers' License out, and the passport, ready for ID in case they want to verify anything. That does help speed it up.

I haven't heard many good things about the prepaid MC travel card, but that was mostly on the Aussie forums. I have a U. S. Visa Card, and a U. S. dollars account with the TD Bank. I am glad to have such a healthy balance in the my U. S. account too, given how our dollar is declining so fast! Also, I don't pay for the travelers' cheques. I am not sure I would get them otherwise.

No telling where our dollar will be by the end of the year when you take your trip.

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
287 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Debit Cards

Great idea about the US dollar account. Is it worth opening one just for a trip? Like I said, I don't have a regular Visa or MC credit card, just the MC travel credit card.

Edited: 31 January 2014, 03:46
Yakima, Washington
Level Contributor
296 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Debit Cards

I never never use credit cards. Cash cash cash and debit/visa checking account. If its not there you don't spend it. We have been this way for years and it always works just fine.