We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Discount Hawaii car rental - it sounds too cheap

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
286 posts
Save Topic
Discount Hawaii car rental - it sounds too cheap

I just took the advice of the TA forum and am booking a car through DHCR. I chose the cheapest economy model, like a Yaris or similar (love Yaris), and for 7 days in early December it's only 206.00 US. From what everyone else has said, this seems far too cheap. Is this correct? Am I missing some important piece? It says its a Brand C.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,260 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Discount Hawaii car rental - it sounds too cheap

We have used DHCR for YEARS, on all islands, and never had a problem.

You should have a confirmation from them listing the rental agency.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,604 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Discount Hawaii car rental - it sounds too cheap

DHCR is absolutely reliable and usually has the best price. Early December is a lower season, and cars will be cheaper. And I think a Yaris is considered an economy car.

Edited: 29 January 2014, 01:39
North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
286 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Discount Hawaii car rental - it sounds too cheap

Ok, thanks. And unless it says its a 4 dr, I assume its just a 2 door. Correct?:

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,604 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Discount Hawaii car rental - it sounds too cheap

Probably a safe assumption, but you could check with the rental company.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,099 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Discount Hawaii car rental - it sounds too cheap

Barb, I am glad you decided to get the car! And be aware, as cheap as that price is, it may still get cheaper. As you get closer to your departure date, check the rates often. They often go down, and then rebook the car, and cancel the preexisting one. We all play this game and some people on here have saved hundreds.

The gas on Maui is way cheaper than what you are used to paying as well. Don't know where the exchange rate will be by then though....

I forgot to mention, that price doesn't include insurance, but you may not need that anyway. Do you have Roadstar with ICBC or any coverage with a credit card?

Edited: 29 January 2014, 01:51
Iowa
Level Contributor
10,229 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Discount Hawaii car rental - it sounds too cheap

Yep, early December is full of good deals! It's a wonderful time to visit! But, really, prices will probably go lower than that.

And DHCR is very reliable. I got a mid size, Toyota Corolla from Enterprise, on Kaua'i for a weekly rate of $147.63 all in. In March, not low season.

If the trip you won doesn't include a car, and you are paying for it yourself, go ahead and book with DHCR now, but don't prepay. You can use that reservation and give them your credit card# when you pick up the car. Or, you can check back, and when prices go down, just book that new one, then cancel the original. Many people on the forum play this game to save a lot. You can rebook as often as the price goes down.

Oops! I see Joan already explained it! Great minds. And I'm glad you decided to get a car too. You'll have so much fun! I wouldn't be surprised if you end up getting it for $100!

Edited: 29 January 2014, 01:58
North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
286 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Discount Hawaii car rental - it sounds too cheap

Wow! That would be amazing to get a car for a week for just over 100 bucks. I'll keep checking. Hmmmm, I think I may be a road star! Ill check with ICBC and see what I am and am not covered for car wise. Thanks for the info.

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
286 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Discount Hawaii car rental - it sounds too cheap

As for car preference, did you guys find that a 4 door was easier? Getting luggage in and out, and just 'stuff'.

Broussard, Louisiana
Level Contributor
292 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Discount Hawaii car rental - it sounds too cheap

DHCR is the real deal! We love them!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,260 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Discount Hawaii car rental - it sounds too cheap

If there is just the two of you you only have to deal with the luggage to and from your lodging...I've had a carry-on on my lap on occassion. No worries visiting around the island with "stuff"

Just a note for a newbie...did you go ahead and book that price? I've missed a couple of good rates because I didn't hit that button and thought I would check later.