We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help planning by Haleakala summit day!

Baton Rouge...
2 posts
Save Topic
Need help planning by Haleakala summit day!

My husband and I will be staying in Kaanapali. We want to see the sunrise at Haleakala and would like to add something to the day. I am seeing that a lot of tour companies offer Haleakala and the Iao valley/needle together. We will be renting a car and doing it ourselves. I am having trouble finding drive times - I was thinking sunrise at Haleakala, Paia/for eats (watching windsurfers at Ho'okipa) and then a visit to the needle? is this too ambitious?

Muskego, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
260 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help planning by Haleakala summit day!

Totally doable. Do This early in the trip if you are used to waking up early. Be sure to call the Haleakala weather service for conditions prior to going. 866-944-5025.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,349 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help planning by Haleakala summit day!

No problem...it will be a great day.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
52,259 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help planning by Haleakala summit day!

Be advised that the weather line isn't updated after about 11 PM..............so it really isn't worth much. The weather on the mountain changes often.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,001 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help planning by Haleakala summit day!

From Kaanapali, allow about 2 1/4 hours to get to the summit. (Google maps is fairly accurate with drive times - http://goo.gl/maps/Zl8oJ - but I would add some extra time to allow for traffic - not that there should be a lot when you start your drive, but going up Haleakala will likely be slower in the dark.) Plan to arrive about 30-45 minutes before sunrise to get parking and see the sky changing colour as the sun comes up.

The rest of your plan sounds good. We enjoyed breakfast at Kula Lodge.

Muskego, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
260 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help planning by Haleakala summit day!

Swmarket suggests calling just before you leave to check weather isn't worth much. What a relief to hear. A few years ago we went up, icy conditions, blinding, dark, switchbacks and no way to turn around. First day of our vacation from the snowy midwest and here we are on icy roads in Maui! All these years I beat myself up that I didn't call that weather line ahead of time! Good to know that wouldn't have made a difference.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,001 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help planning by Haleakala summit day!

Agree, the weather can be an issue - we went up once in the clouds thinking that it might be clear at the top, but no such luck & couldn't see more than 30 feet in front of us at the summit, so it was a nice surprise the next time we went up to see how spectacular the views are.

The park website has a weather page with a couple of links that might be of some help - e.g. if the forecast is for mostly cloudy skies, I would probably abandon plans to drive up that day. www.nps.gov/hale/planyourvisit/weather.htm

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,410 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help planning by Haleakala summit day!

May I suggest a small detour on the way to Paia??? When you are driving "down", turn right on highway 365 that goes to Makawao. It is a wonderful little town full of galleries and a great bakery too. Not sure what will be open, depending on what time you start your descent. When you get to Baldwin Avenue, turn left. This street goes north, all the way into Paia. It's a wonderful drive, and goes by some beautiful churches too.

When you get to Paia, turn right to continue to Ho'okipa to watch the action.

Baton Rouge...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help planning by Haleakala summit day!

Thanks all! I will certainly check the weather and will add the detour!!!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,374 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help planning by Haleakala summit day!

I never checked the weather when I went up there. It changes constantly. It could be as clear as a bell when you leave Kaanapali and by the time you get to the summit, it could be all socked in. Of course, the opposite is also true.

10. Re: Need help planning by Haleakala summit day!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2015, 05:20