We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A couple questions about our trip!

Lake Stevens...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
A couple questions about our trip!

We are leaving in the 28th with our family 6 adults, an almost 4 year old and 1 year old for a week on Maui. We are all on the same flight going and coming so if you are flying out of Seattle on Friday morning we will be the not so quiet group mid plane! :) It is our first time on Maui and we are looking forward to it. We have rented a beautiful 5000 sq ft home to enjoy our time. I am not sure if I can post the link to the house so I won't do it unless someone tells me it is ok.

I wanted to know if I should buy sunscreen here or just wait until I get there? I did buy a couple on clearance at Target but I can save those for summer.

What are the must go to farmer's markets? I mainly want to be able to buy fresh fruit and a few souvenirs.

Is there a good place to buy beach towels? I know the house has some but I like to have my own to take to the beach.

We are planning on whale watching one morning.

The rest of the time will mainly be spent at the pool at the house with our family or at the beach.

Thanks!!!

Kristi

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,680 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A couple questions about our trip!

Welcome to trip Advisor!

To buy beach towels, check out ABC stores, or Whaler's General Store. They always seem to have some on sale, and they have beautiful designs to choose from.

Not sure where the house is, but there are Farmer's Markets in West Maui and South Maui.

Also, on Saturday, you can head to the Swap Meet up at the college. 50 cents to get in, and take your own tote bag. Lots of veggies and fruit there, but they go fast, so you want to get there early.

Have a fantastic time! Pack binoculars, leave the sunscreen and buy it on Maui!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A couple questions about our trip!

We often stop by Walmart (just outside of the airport) to pick up sunscreen, we found that their prices are about the same as at home. They also have beach towels that are inexpensive.

There are Costco and Walmart, Kmart at Kahului (airport area), items there are cheaper than ABC stores or general stores in the tourist areas.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,924 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A couple questions about our trip!

No problem giving us a link to the house you rented, would love to see it. It would also help knowing where on the island you are. The big box stores or the ABC stores would be fine for purchasing beach towels and sunscreen.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
936 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A couple questions about our trip!

If you have a Costco membership they have really nice beach towels.

Cheryl

Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
105 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A couple questions about our trip!

Have stopped at both the Walmart and Kmart near the airport. Plenty of towels and sunscreen can be purchased there. We also picked up cheap souvenirs on the way back to the airport. Otherwise any ABC store will be able to provide you with both. Have fun.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,361 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: A couple questions about our trip!

"No problem giving us a link to the house you rented, would love to see it. It would also help knowing where on the island you are."

msfuzz is correct.

No problem in providing links to any property you have reserved or are thinking about making reservations.

Lake Stevens...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: A couple questions about our trip!

It has been booked since September!! Here is the link:

www.vacahawaii.com/pineapplepavilion.html

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,680 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A couple questions about our trip!

I don't suppose you need a cook? Or a house cleaner? Or someone to shop for groceries? I could babysit the kids? Do family portraits? Anything??????

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
1,682 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A couple questions about our trip!

Stunning house. Wow! Enjoy yourselves Frogmom & family!

Re towels - Also try Longs (CVS) & Costco. Costco usually has ones that are a bit thicker and a few bucks more. Don't recall if prints were Hawaiian per se or just beachy/tropical.

JOan & I could sing and dance a bit too, maybe some card tricks?

Oregon
Level Contributor
415 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A couple questions about our trip!

I bought sunscreen at home because I didn't want to immediately have to shop for it. If you can spare the suitcase space, I would take two: one to leave in your bathroom for applying after showering; the other to stay p in your beach bag. I feel like I am always hunting for my sunscreen.

Nice house!