We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using reward miles to Maui

Sarasota, FL
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
Using reward miles to Maui

Hello,

We are hoping to go to Maui in April or May of this year if we can put the package together at a reasonable price, we have Delta air miles that we are hoping to use for the air fare or part of it. We have never used any reward miles for travel so not too sure the best way to do this. We will be flying from Tampa, FL.. We were lucky enough to go to Kona, Hawaii last year during the same time, but we did not use any rewards miles, used that trip to help rack up more air miles.. We stayed for 12 days in a Condo right on the ocean, we even got to see some whales from the balcony! That was a very special experience for us. I booked last years trip myself by using the internet and suggestions from Trip Advisor Forum. Our budget for Kona was $4000.00 for Air, Condo & Car for 12 days. Hope to keep trip to Maui below this, especially if we can use air miles for part of the trip.

We want to stay in a condo in Maui not sure what area yet (would love suggestions) we love to snorkel and travel for this reason! We have been to Maui twice before both times was on cruise ships and stayed in port a total of 4 days. We rented a car and traveled most of Island and snorkeled at several places on Maui. We would love to stay in a condo from 10 to 12 days and really enjoy the Island of Maui. We would like a condo that is near the Ocean (partial view or full view) from balcony, free parking, free WiFi and near some good snorkeling beaches.

Thanks for your suggestions.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,990 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using reward miles to Maui

Re suggestions for a condo - please let us know what your approximate nightly accommodation budget is, including all taxes/fees. A car rental for that length should be around $300. all in (but it depends on whether you go over Easter, in which case the rate could be a little higher.)

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,140 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using reward miles to Maui

Which company did you use for the rental car last time?

Are you a Costco member? They will have a good rate, and also check with www.discounthawaiicarrental.com They are good to work with as well.

You can look in West Maui or South Maui for a beautiful condo with ocean view. Lots of them offer free parking, and a lot of owners waive the cleaning fee if you stay 7 nights or longer. Check out VRBO to get an idea of what is out there. Plunk in your dates, add some filters if you like (number of bedrooms, hot tub, etc.) and then see what comes up.

You will find good snorkeling beaches west and south.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,654 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Using reward miles to Maui

Availability could be a challenge in April; there would be more choices in May. Both South Maui and West Maui should have good weather in May. A lodging budget will help us help you. Are you looking for a 1 BR or larger? Do you prefer more 'buzz' (Kaanapli/Lahaina), or do you like low-rise, low-density places?

Sarasota, FL
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Using reward miles to Maui

The condo we rented last year on Kona was a 1/1 ocean view (right on the ocean) rate was $129 per night total for 13 days with taxes etc was $2000.00. 1/1 is fine with the following well stocked kitchen, w/d, a/c, lanai, free parking, free WiFi and good snorkeling beach. Would like to pay a little less since I do not think we will be able to afford a condo directly on the ocean in Maui like we had in Kona. If rates and availability is better in early May we are good with that too. The condo complex we stayed at was a small one I think 28 units 3 floors first floor was parking. I did reserve a car on Kona through discounthawaiicarrental.com but ended up getting it cheaper through Alamo directly for 14 days for a total of $297 with taxes etc. Yes we did have a Costco membership.

Thanks for all the help and advise, please keep it coming. Mahalo

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,140 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using reward miles to Maui

Check out ChasenRainbows for condos in the West Maui area. Honokowai, Kahana, and Napili may have something in your budget.

Kihei in South Maui is another option. A lot of the condos are across the street from the Kam Beaches, but there are a few right on the ocean. Surfside may be an option directly with an owner. We had a place rented there for September (had to cancel though), for just $125.00 a night. No AC though!

Sarasota, FL
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Using reward miles to Maui

Thank you I will check out these areas.

Do any of you have any suggestions about using Delta air miles to book air to Maui? We have never done this and could use others expertise. Read on TA one couple booked from Las Vegas using air miles to Maui, there post was not clear if they paid for air to Las Vegas then used air miles to Maui.

Last year I had a real difficult time just trying to find air fare that was not through the roof from Tampa, Fl to Kona, Hawaii. We flew to Atlanta, then to LA then Maui - had a delay in LA for over 6 hours that was not expected!

I finally booked through Delta but it was touch and go on the rates and I started planing at this same time last year.

Mahalo

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,990 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Using reward miles to Maui

I'm not sure about Delta, but if it's the same process as the reward points that I have, I go to the website, select the flights (destination/dates) and it will tell me how many points I need for those flights.

Perhaps try this site (if these are the points that you're collecting) - try some dates that you think would work to see how many points you need: www.delta.com/awards/home.do…

Also - someone on the Air Travel Forum here might be able to guide you through it if no one here is familiar with Delta points. tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Trave…

Regarding accommodations - Joan mentioned this site: http://www.westmauicondos.com/ and they have a special on now, if you book before Feb. 15th - one night free for a stay of 5 nights or longer. But even with the special, I'm not sure you'll find everything that you're looking for at under $129/ night. Worth checking to see what's available though.

Edited: 05 February 2014, 00:28
California
Level Contributor
6,132 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Using reward miles to Maui

Go to the Delta web site and register as a user and simply book reservations along with checking "Redeem Miles" and it'll show you what's available for free using miles. Normally most free seats are taken months out but you never know and the airline add free seats at times also. Delta is also a partner with Hawaiian Airlines so you might get lucky with one of there flights. The Delta website will show it if it's available.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,408 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Using reward miles to Maui

Each airline miles club is so different. We no longer use Delta. But basic steps apply to most clubs.

Do check the main Delta.com page and see if you can login with your airmile club number.If so you could start putting in dates and it will show number of miles needed for that flight.

Another way to do it, and most airlines charge a small fee ($25 or so) is to call the airmiles reservation number and get a customer rep to help with this first booking. But before you call, look up Delta reservation and copy down flights that would work for you.

Plan to be flexible.

We use American airmiles. To get their cheaper miles seats we have to travel mid week and usually have to change plans in LAX. On American it can cost 90,000 points for one round trip in economy or if I chose another day I can get the same seat for 35,000 points round trip. Don't get discouraged, just learn the ropes by playing on the reservation web page after you check the redeeming miles box.

Edited: 05 February 2014, 00:49
Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,830 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Using reward miles to Maui

When we use our miles for a trip, I'm up at midnight exactly 330 days or whatever it is to get the seats the nanosecond they become available. You would have to be extraordinarily lucky to get FF tickets 4-5 months in advance...not saying it's not possible, just not in my world.