We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Maui

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
One day in Maui

We are on a cruise and have one day in Maui from 7am till 6pm? what should be do for they day? any suggestions of any good trips that can collect us from and return us to the ship.

Level Contributor
34,703 posts
891 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in Maui

Spend some time in Lahaina exploring Front Street. Be sure to get a shave ice from Ululani's. :).

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,879 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in Maui

Are you coming into Kahului or Lahaina? I assume you don't want to rent a car? Anything in particular that you are interested in seeing on Maui? How many people, ages?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in Maui

As msfuzz asked - where are you docking/tendering? Lahaina or Kahului? They are very, very different.

What excursions are being offered? That information will give you an idea of what can be done in your timeframe. We can tell you what is worth the $$.

Bottom line - you won't see much of Maui in that teeny little time period - and Maui has so much to offer you.

What other Islands are you visiting and what do you plan to do there?

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
47,914 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in Maui

It's very, very rare for the ships other than NCL's Pride to dock anywhere but Lahaina Roads. The OP's statement that they are here only for the day tells me they are on one of the big ships. NCL spends 2 nights on Maui.

I would rent a car--really, driving on Maui is pretty easy--and just explore the West side, starting up by Honolua Bay and then working your way back down to Lahaina town, stopping along the way.

Level Contributor
389 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in Maui

I agree with swmarket. I would rent a car in Lahaina and do just that. Head north to Honolua Bay, snorkel , go to Kapalua. Charlie Young,

Take the lower road through Napili, and give yourself a couple hours to enjoy Walking Lahaina, Banyon tree park, shaved ice. It could be a great day if planned well.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day in Maui

<<It's very, very rare for the ships other than NCL's Pride to dock anywhere but Lahaina Roads.>> They dock now? Something new I missed?

I love the area north of Lahaina, too ... but also consider going south ... perhaps over to the Iao Valley and then the Maui Ocean Center on your way back to Lahaina. You will need a car if you don't take an excursion.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day in Maui

I think Maui is great for its beaches and water activities. So my first thought was to book either a whale watching or a snorkeling tour, and save the major sightseeing for Kaua'i. If neither of those worked out, I'd be tempted to rent a car, drive to Paia for a quick look-around, pick up a picnic lunch and head to Ho'okipa Beach Park to watch the surfers, wind surfers, and kite surfers. Maybe stop at Mama's for drinks and pupus on the way back to the ship.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,643 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One day in Maui

Completely agree with SW and Empire guy..for one day I would not want to risk wasting my time sitting in the traffic heading south or coming back if there has been an accident. A ton of things to see towards the north. You could even drive as far north as the Nakalele Blowhole for some beautiful coastal views.

9. Re: One day in Maui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2015, 05:23