We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel?! First time to Maui on honeymoon, a fair budget

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel?! First time to Maui on honeymoon, a fair budget

Hi All,

Hopefully you can help as I'm really stuck on where to stay in Maui. Me and my better half are travelling to Maui for 6 nights early July and then onto Honolulu.

Overall we are looking for a nice beachfront or nice ocean view room (its our honeymoon after all) and ideally with a kitchen to have the option to stay in for breakfast / lunch (not concerned about dinner)

Any suggestions welcome, I did have some ideas e.g. The Kapalua Villas but we are not golfers :)

Our budget for the 6 nights is around £1,500 - £2,000

*Edit* Ideally I would like to be able to swim in the sea close by / pretend to surf ;) Also I will be hiring a car for a large majority if not the full 6 days for exploring.

Many Thanks in advance,

Mike

Edited: 06 February 2014, 20:55
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel?! First time to Maui on honeymoon, a fair budget

Hi All,

Hopefully you can help as I'm really stuck on where to stay in Maui. Me and my better half are travelling to Maui for 6 nights early July and then onto Honolulu.

Overall we are looking for a nice beachfront or nice ocean view room (its our honeymoon after all) and ideally with a kitchen to have the option to stay in for breakfast / lunch (not concerned about dinner)

Any suggestions welcome, I did have some ideas e.g. The Kapalua Villas but we are not golfers :)

Our budget for the 6 nights is around £1,500 - £2,000 which is about $3,300 (of course lower is preferred)

*Edit* Ideally I would like to be able to swim in the sea close by / pretend to surf ;) Also I will be hiring a car for a large majority if not the full 6 days for exploring.

Many Thanks in advance,

Mike

Edited: 06 February 2014, 20:56
San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel?! First time to Maui on honeymoon, a fair budget

that budget if you take off taxes and resort fees you are about $475 per night. You could look at Polo Beach and Elua Condos in Wailea. you don't have to be a golfer to stay at Kapalua. Nice beaches as well, can get a little more in the way of afternoon showers, but July is fairly dry all over.

I would look for something with air conditioning in July

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,686 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel?! First time to Maui on honeymoon, a fair budget

So if I did the conversion right, your budget is about $400 - $540 per night for your 6 nights on Maui. Is that for accommodations only or is your rental car and other expenses included in that number?

Yes the Kapalua Villas are lovely and there are several great beaches close by. But if you want that "roll out of bed and just steps to the sand" kind of experience, go with one of the resorts that offer "beachfront" accommodations. The Honua Kai and Westin Villas in the Ka'anapali area would be great and are close to lots of other activities and shopping. Also take a look at the Napili Kai Beach Resort in Napili. It offers terrific beachfront rooms and easy access to both Napili and Kapalua Bays.

As you do your search, know that there is a difference between "Beachfront" and "Oceanfront" listings on Maui. For example, many of the properties in the Kahana area are indeed oceanfront but have little or no sandy beach - and if there is one it may only be accessible at low tide. For the kind of experience you seem to be seeking, stick with beachfront listings.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel?! First time to Maui on honeymoon, a fair budget

Hi,

Thanks for your replies,

To clarify, my car budget is separate, please don't count that in the figures quote above.

I guess we would prefer that walk out on to sand location, but realise that usually comes with a very high price figure.

Many thanks for the advice on Beachfront / Oceanfront, we don't get that in the UK :)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel?! First time to Maui on honeymoon, a fair budget

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g609129-d287563…

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,438 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel?! First time to Maui on honeymoon, a fair budget

We stay in Kapalua all the time. Beautiful area. It is great especially during the summer...we go every July. The following link is the villa above the one we stayed in at Christmas. Ocean front and right on the Coastal trail with beautiful views. Short walk to right is Oneloa beach and short walk to left is Kapalua. Lots of free parking, air conditioning, and free internet.

rentalprorentals.com/quamproperties/…

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel?! First time to Maui on honeymoon, a fair budget

Have you had the chance to look at the Valley Isle Resort!? I found the condo we will be staying at for our honeymoon on VRBO! Super reasonable and right on the beach! Also the owner of the condo has been very helpful and goes out of his way to communicate, and give you ideas for the trip! They are located on Kahana Beach... just throwing it out there! : )

Northern California
Level Contributor
357 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel?! First time to Maui on honeymoon, a fair budget

I stayed at Valley isle resort last Feb. and found it quite adequate for a budget stay, especially during whale season. But with Mike's higher budget I think he can go for more space and luxury.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel?! First time to Maui on honeymoon, a fair budget

Thanks for the suggestions all.

The Polo Beach Club does look great but finding it hard to find a unit with a nice view. Basically, I won't know what I'm getting unless I book direct.

Very hard to decide :)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel?! First time to Maui on honeymoon, a fair budget

The side units at Polo have a 90 degree view. The front units are 180 degrees and of course more £££