We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nakalele Blowhole

kissimmee, fl
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Nakalele Blowhole

How far away is that from makena beach and golf resort?

Is it worth it?

Noblesville, Indiana
Level Contributor
131 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nakalele Blowhole

Here's the Google distance: https://goo.gl/maps/6X0fW

As to whether or not it's worth it, I can't speak to. Many here, however, recommend it if it fits into your schedule.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nakalele Blowhole

That's s healthy drive Kimmy. I would not drive all the west, as far you should go before turning the car around, only for the blowhole. I would make that visit a part of a day spent hanging out west and exploring that side of the islands. The things I would do, beaches , restaurants, etc. would be different than your choices. But If would be a wonderful day, if you have time. Deb

Portland, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
936 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nakalele Blowhole

It is at least 1 1/2 hrs from Makena. The drive is very nice so if you have the time I would do it. You do have to hike down to it. However, you can park and walk a very short distance to see it from the top.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g29220-d67…

Mentioned in this post
Makena
Makena
Maui, HI
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,836 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nakalele Blowhole

The blowhole is a good half hour, maybe 45 minutes, if you hike all the way down. It's worth doing, if you're there, but would not be worth it (to me) to make the trip JUST for the blowhole. Plan a day on West Maui. There's great snorkeling at some of the beaches, there is hiking along the shore or up the old golf course in Kapalua, there is the blowhole, and then have dinner and walk-around-time in Lahaina, before heading back.

Mentioned in this post
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
13,577 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nakalele Blowhole

As others have said, it is a bit of a drive for you...and "worth it" is always up to each individual. The coastline from Kapalua to the blowhole is very beautiful and different than the other areas. We have never hiked down to the blowhole all the way. No point- it can be a dangerous area and pictures can be taken from a distance. As others have said, I would make a day of it and include it as part of a bigger west side day.

I am including a link to my blog from Christmas...it was very calm then so the blowhole was hardly blowing, but you can see what the scenery along there is like.

…wordpress.com/2013/…

Mentioned in this post
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nakalele Blowhole

A second blog that will give you a few ideas of how to wind your day from west to south and back. This was just our fun day transitioning from west to south......Deb

…blogspot.com/2013/…

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,694 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Nakalele Blowhole

everytrail.com/guide/king-s-highway-hoapili-…

There is a small blow hole here and you can walk by it on the trail.

This is just south of you by maybe 15 minutes. Last lava flow from the 1800's

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,005 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nakalele Blowhole

Nakalele Blow Hole is about as far away from Makena as you can get on the island without going all the way to Hana!! Nice gorgeous drive through the Pali from Maalaea to Lahaina. Then up further, once you hit Kapalua, more gorgeous west Maui mountain driving. I think it's worth a day on the west side. Just be careful. I personally wouldn't hike "down" to the blow hole, danger lurks without warning.

Love the area and blow hole John60750 talks about also!!

Mentioned in this post
Makena
Makena
Maui, HI
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Maalaea
Maalaea
Maui, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,836 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nakalele Blowhole

While the blowhole can definitely be dangerous (and people have died in it), the real danger is when you go right up close to it. I've seen people stand next to it or even sit on the edge with their feet dangling over the hole, then the explosion will send them flying backwards. You can, however, be down at the level of the blowhole, but a safe distance away and still see and "feel" it go off. Just remember, if the ground you are on is wet, your at risk. The closer you go from there, the higher the risk gets. Nature has no guardrails!

But even if you stay up near the parking area, the views of the blowhole, and of the west maui mountains are absolutely breathtaking.

Middleburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
411 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nakalele Blowhole

I am guessing it is best at high tide, right?