We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bugs in Rental Cars

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Bugs in Rental Cars

My husband and I are going on our first trip to Maui in May and just noticed someone mentioning that it's common to have roaches in your rental car. I have not seen anything about this before and it has become a major concern with us. Has anyone had this happen to them personally and is it more common to have it with a certain car company.

Thanks for any input.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bugs in Rental Cars

Oh god Caddy you are a bad boy!!

I have never seen a roach in any of the rental cars we have had in Hawaii that doesn't mean it can't happen it is a tropical location and in all reality it could happen anywhere.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
52,160 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bugs in Rental Cars

Has it? Yes. Will it, to you? Most likely not. The agencies know this is a pet peeve and do their best to prevent it.

You can help yourself when you are here, as roaches are opportunistic little buggers ( and sometimes gigantic buggers). Don't leave food in the car, try to avoid eating in the car, and if you spill something, clean it up well.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,220 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bugs in Rental Cars

Yes..Caddy is sitting back laughing. I do remember a story from a while ago...

I have rented from Alamo, and National...who sometimes share vehicles. Never an issue. Just like you could get a spider at home, maybe. But no it is not a common occurrence.

lwj
Norcal
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bugs in Rental Cars

Happened to us once on Kauai many years ago (decades).... cannot remember the name of the rental car company, but it came out from behind the sun visor as I was driving. Saw it out of the corner of my eye and nearly ran into the car in front of me....

Most of the time if they are there, they hide.... only come out for food, so do not leave any open food in the car.

Most of the major rental car companies are careful to completely clean the cars between rentals, but that does not mean that you may not run across one or two. I suppose that it is more likely to occur in older cars...

I have not had any problems with cockroaches on Maui, but I know they are around....

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,350 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bugs in Rental Cars

Years ago someone posted that their car was crawling with cockroaches. It's been a running joke around here since then. It does happen but not regularly. Cockroaches are a way of life in Hawaii. They can even piggy back on to something you bring home from the grocery. Best thing to do is to forget about it!!

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,735 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bugs in Rental Cars

Not to worry. One of our forum regulars, Caddy, has been known to regale us with all KINDS of stories about his adventures on Maui. We've been coming to Hawaii for 30+ years and never had a roach in our car. In a condo...yes. Ah, but we shouldn't go there with you, eh? (Hawaii is a tropical place. Tropical places have bugs. YOU, as a tourist, will probably never SEE a roach.)

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bugs in Rental Cars

Thanks for all your responses (and yes Caddy was the one that caused me to start this thread). We were concerned this was going to ruin our trip. We will definitely not leave any food in the car and thoroughly check it before we rent it.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,781 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bugs in Rental Cars

We had roaches in our car on the Big Island this past November. We picked it up at night, and I was using a flashlight to examine the exterior of the car for scratches since the parking lot was rather dimly lit. We opened the trunk to put in our suitcases, and as I shone the flashlight in, about a half-dozen roaches scurried for cover. We didn't know what to do, and we were tired after a very long day of travel and there was a long line-up at the rental car counter, and we were thinking "well, what do you expect in a tropical climate?"... so we put our suitcases in the back seat and went on our way. I naively thought that if the roaches were in the trunk, they wouldn't have access to the interior of the car and that, in the morning, we could maybe open up the trunk, take out the carpet base and shake out all the roaches. (Yes, I am sure some are laughing at this, but we live in a cold climate and are not familiar with roaches.)

Of course, in the morning, there were no roaches to be seen. We decided to continue on our way, and only once in the ensuing 12 days or so did we ever see one in the car ... in the back seat when we were in a parking lot. (My new Hawaiian flip flops came in real handy... that bugger was whisked out of there so fast and stomped on the pavement.)

I mentioned it on a posting on the BI forum, and one of the regulars there told me that we should have gone back and demanded a different car, and that we likely would have been upgraded. Live and learn, I guess. I have since also read plenty of horror stories of roaches all through cars, including front seats. ICK!

We also saw roaches at all three accommodations where we stayed... although at one, only outdoors (although there was roach spray provided along with other essential supplies under the kitchen sink, so I am thinking they do get them inside at times too.)

When we got home, we left out suitcases outside in -30C weather for several days (after unpacking liquids and electronics), just to be sure we didn't bring any hitch-hikers home. (We normally do this anyway, since you never know what kind of critters might hitch a ride, either from accommodation where you've stayed, or from the belly of the aircraft ... roaches, bedbugs etc.)

Edited: 09 February 2014, 03:11
Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,595 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bugs in Rental Cars

I had heard about bugs being a problem and dirty cars from one of the rental agencies. They had a deal that was hard to pass up, so I called and asked them if they do send out dirty cars. They actually admitted that on busy turnaround days they don't thoroughly clean all the cars. We usually rent from Budget who assured me all returned cars were thoroughly cleaned, but they were several hundred dollars more that particular trip. So we decided to take a chance and go with the cheap rental (forgot which National chain it was, but it wasn't Budget or Avis). Ended up see a couple very small roaches under the floor mat. That was the only time in over 20 trips to Hawaii I've seen any in our rental cars. But then, I usually don't go looking for them.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,705 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bugs in Rental Cars

The Caddy-man wears a pink Speedo. What more needs to be said?