We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

please help! 3 family trip where to stay?

Johnstown, Colorado
Level Contributor
356 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
please help! 3 family trip where to stay?

We are planning a trip for right after Christmas this year for our family which includes myself, DH and 2 boys ages 11 and 8. Also my parents who are in their 70s and my sister and her DH and DD 17 and DS 20. We will be staying about 7 or 8 nights. None of us have been to Maui except for me and that was 21 years ago!

We are probably looking for 2 two bedroom condos and a 1 br for my parents. My parents would really like a restaurant onsite if possible while my sister and I plan to cook a little more to save money.

We really want a nice on the beach location with a heated pool as well. We plan to spend time relaxing on the beach snorkeling and swimming in the pool for our kids (8 year old isn't the best swimmer). The older kids will do some hiking with their parents but mostly stay with their parents and all of us so they don't need "action". We are thinking West Maui but not sure exactly where. We would love to be ocean view. Budget is up to $400 night for the 2 bedrooms and less for the 1. We also need it to be on the ground floor for my parents or have an elevator. They are not handicapped but do not get around that well with lots of stairs.

I am getting to plan this and would really love any suggestions!!! Thank you!!!

United States
Level Contributor
5,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: please help! 3 family trip where to stay?

Christmas is high season and very popular on Maui. Some people do plan and book their favorite condos a year out for Xmas (I have already).

Just to clarify, it's $400/night for EACH 2BR and how much for the 1BR? $250-300/night? So a total of $1100/night or so for all 3 condos?

And this is before taxes (13.416%), cleaning fees, resort fees, parking fees, etc.?

Edited: 09 February 2014, 15:22
Langley, Canada
Level Contributor
1,255 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: please help! 3 family trip where to stay?

It's not West Maui, but we have a group of a similar configuration (7 adults ranging up to a senior, and 3 children) and booked into ground floor 2 bedroom condos at the Maui Banyan in Kihei (South Maui). Originally we booked for immediately after Christmas last year but changed to spring break for this year. Price for both times was the same at under $2500, all taxes and fees included per week for each 2 bedroom condo. Has two pools on site and across the road from the Kamaole beaches. Lots of eating and shopping options nearby.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
51,234 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: please help! 3 family trip where to stay?

Maui Kaanapali Villas would fit your group perfectly. Beautiful grounds, low rise and lower key, yet near the "main drag" of Kaanapali and Lahaina town. The condos are huge, and there is a good little restaurant onsite.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: please help! 3 family trip where to stay?

You are wise to be planning now.

Take a look at the Westin VILLAS (not resort and spa) on Ka'anapali. They have condos of various sizes, easy parking and elevators. Restaurants on site - or your parents could take their shuttle to Whaler's Village or Lahaina.

Here is a rough map of the Ka'anapali resort area. If it comes up small, click on it. kaanapaliresort.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/…

Johnstown, Colorado
Level Contributor
356 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: please help! 3 family trip where to stay?

Thank you. Yes it's up to $400 each for the 2 bedrooms and whatever the price is for the 1 bedroom is OK. And it can be before the taxes and fees if necessary! We thought about Kehei but would really prefer if possible to be on the beach... thank you!!!

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,640 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: please help! 3 family trip where to stay?

Any chance you could come *before* Christmas instead of afterwards? The weather is pretty much the same but the rates are the year's lowest. January would be higher, but nothing is as expensive as the Christmas/New Year's holidays. (And you face limited availability, starting only now for the end of 2014.)

You should have decent weather anywhere from Kahana (West Maui) on south. The winter ocean is usually calmer off South Maui.

All of Maui's top-rated hotels are in Wailea except the Ritz in northern Kapalua (not my choice in winter).

If you plan sightseeing to Haleakala, Iao Valley and Road to Hana, those are most convenient from a base in South Maui: South Kihei, Wailea, Makena.

How much time will you spend together? Will each of the three families have a car? (Get those reserved immediately, while you hunt for lodging.) You may not find three suitable units all within one complex, but that could provide the advantage of all of you enjoying two or more different locations.

This site has aerials and reviews of most lodgings in Hawaii: www.hawaiireveled.com You may need to go through a vacation rental agency to find condos within the holiday dates.

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
51,234 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: please help! 3 family trip where to stay?

Actually, Sue...........Honua Kai, the Westin KOR Villas, and the Hyatt are all rated the same as the Wailea properties of the Kea Lani etc.

The two top are the Four Seasons and the Ritz.

Below those two, there are resorts with identical ratings on both the south and the west sides. It is inaccurate to claim that the only top rated hotel on the West side is the Ritz.

Johnstown, Colorado
Level Contributor
356 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: please help! 3 family trip where to stay?

We will all have cars and plan to spend a lot of time together. We don't need fancy just clean and comfy. Unfortunately due to my niece and nephews college schedule we aren't flexible on dates...

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
51,234 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: please help! 3 family trip where to stay?

In addition to MKV I already mentioned, you might check the Kaanapali Ali'i. It may be too $$, but you might find something there. No restaurant on property but a great spot, beautiful condos.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,091 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: please help! 3 family trip where to stay?

We were there last Christmas for 2 weeks and booked for next Christmas before we left because it was such a nice time. Things are a bit more expensive, but we loved it. I believe Maui Kaanapali Villas would be perfect as SW said. The Westin Villas and Honua Kai are also nice. Go on Chase'N Rainbows as well..plug in your dates and see what pops up. Weather and surf for snorkeling and swimming should be great on the west side. There is always a risk of an island-wide winter storm, but that affects the whole island.

http://www.westmauicondos.com