We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking on Maui

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
88 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking on Maui

I've been doing research on different hikes on Maui, and haven't found a definitive answer, so I thought I should come to the experts!

Dh & I would really like to do at least 1 hike when we visit Maui for a week in August this year. We hike regularly in the rocky mountains, and are thinking an intermediate 4-6 mile (round trip) hike would be perfect. Would consider a hike a little longer. I would really like to hike to some waterfalls, or at least see some along the way (if August isn't too dry). The Pipiwai trail seems like a good choice, except that we're staying in the Lahaina area, and we aren't 100% sure we will do the RTH.

Is there a hike that meets our requirements (intermediate, not too short, waterfalls) besides the Pipiwai trail? If not, we will bump up the importance of the RTH on our list of things we want to do while in Maui.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,129 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking on Maui

The Waihee Ridge Trail is a popular one & we really enjoyed it. Great views into valleys and out over the ocean, but no close up waterfall views - just distant ones. Here's a google map with directions from Lahaina. http://goo.gl/maps/6LblV

The hike is ~5 miles round trip - an in and back hike - a good workout going up as it has about 1500' of elevation gain. Best to go early before the clouds move in - but not too early as there's a gate on the access road that is closed from about dusk until 7 or 8 the following morning.

Enjoy!

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,751 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking on Maui

If you don't want to make the long drive to Hana to do the Pipiwai trail, maybe consider the Kapalua Trails in West Maui. Here is a link where you can download a pdf of their various trails…

http://kapalua.com/activities/hiking-trails

We love doing the Village Trails which take advantage of the old cart paths from the Village Golf Course that was abandoned 10 or 12 years ago. It's amazing how nature has reclaimed the land. There is no waterfall but you are rewarded with a lovely lake at the top of the trail. And the views out towards Molokai and Lanai from up there are stunning.

3. Re: Hiking on Maui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2015, 06:20