We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nakalele Blowhole

Toronto
Level Contributor
287 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Nakalele Blowhole

If you drive from the Lahaina area to the Nakalele Blowhole I see you have to take the infamous Hwy 340. Is there any scary parts of the highway just getting to the blowhole? And are there any places to turn around from the Blowhole without having to encounter any guardrailless cliffsides?

1. Re: Nakalele Blowhole

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12 February 2014, 01:02
ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,001 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nakalele Blowhole

The road is in great shape to the blowhole and a couple of miles beyond - here's the route from Lahaina: http://goo.gl/maps/4ZldY

There's a parking area at the blowhole where it's easy to turn around: http://goo.gl/maps/IWqhJ

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,001 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nakalele Blowhole

<<"The blow hole is approx. 5.5 miles past Honolua Bay. This is the part where you will encounter one lane for about 4.5 miles.">>

Oops - did I give wrong information- is there construction there now?

4. Re: Nakalele Blowhole

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12 February 2014, 01:02
Edited: 12 February 2014, 01:02
ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,001 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nakalele Blowhole

OK - when I read your post, I thought I had missed something in the thread about Kahekili Hwy resurfacing.

The difficult (narrow, winding, cliffs, etc) part doesn't start until a couple of miles past the blowhole. Not sure if you want to delete your post above to avoid confusion?

Edited: 12 February 2014, 00:28
ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,001 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nakalele Blowhole

snorkellady - I'm curious though .... do you live on Maui & aren't familiar with the road to the blowhole?

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Nakalele Blowhole

We are in Maui this month and went to the blow hole. It's a two lane road all the way there from lahaina with some sharp curves but no scary parts. You can turn around there and go back. The infamous scary one lane road (which btw IS terrifying to us) is past the blow hole when you are coming from Lahaina. Also, the blow hole is not always blowing. Only when the surf is strong. The countryside and scenery in that area is gorgeous.

Edited: 12 February 2014, 00:36
ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,001 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nakalele Blowhole

Agree with Bob - it's a very scenic drive!

If you click on my second link in my first post above, you'll see what the road looks like ... that's the condition of it from Kapalua through to the blowhole.

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,249 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nakalele Blowhole

The road people are told to avoid is past the blowhole heading down from Kapalua toward Kahului... it would help prevent confusion by not mentioning Lahaina at this point, since you are well past Lahaina by the time you reach Kapalua.

Maui
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nakalele Blowhole

Yes I live here. It has been sometime since I visited the blowhole, me bad. Forgot that there was no one lane roads getting there. I have been around the head going both ways.

I don't want to confuse anyone, and have asked TA to delete my posts. :)