We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is better?

chicago
Level Contributor
255 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Which is better?

It's that time again where I start to pick where to go on my vacation.Maui was such a great place that actually has become more legendary in my mind as time goes by.But before we went to Maui we usually would go out to the west like Death Valley and Vegas and we love it there too we even did Yellowstone but why is it Vegas always calls me back.So my question is to people that have done both do you go to new places every year or do you like going back to the same place.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which is better?

We used to go to California, Arizona and Washington to visit grandparents and family. Our kids grew up and life is now about us. (Not entirely,but you know.) We only go to Hawaii and between Maui, Kauai and Oahu, there is enough variety to keep us happy. It helps that we are only a five to six hour flight away, if we get direct and we also change it up by who we vacation with each year. We love to share the islands with our adult children.

For us, at our age and continuing to work very hard, we appreciate the ability to instantly be in vacation mode the minute we land and we do not seek adventures beyond Hawaii. It is enough for us. Deb

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,531 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which is better?

We really enjoy Hawaii, but new places call out to us, so we mix it up. This year Costa Rica and Africa ... I will miss Hawaii, but I'm putting it back on next year's list :)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which is better?

We have travelled the world together and have some great memories. We were just talking about the time a baby elephant came through the bar in Thailand. But Maui has always called to us. My wife still cries when she hears Keola Beamer sing Honolulu City Lights because it reminds her of when she moved from Maui and that was 26 years ago. She took me there 25 years ago an I was hooked, have never missed a year, my kids are hooked, our granddaughters 6 and 4 are hooked, they will make their 5 th trip this fall. We were going to go to Switzerland this spring...naw lets just go to Maui. If you find a place so special that you never tire of it you will return again and again.

We sit on the beach, look at each other and don't have to say a word. Its like love, it can come out of nowhere and when you least expect it. It did for us.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,487 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which is better?

I like to alternate if I have the choice . . . for example, one winter go to somewhere new, and then the next, go back to an old favorite. Best of both worlds. :)

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which is better?

I could be very content and happy to go to Maui every year but my husband likes to mix it up and truthfully the other places we have been I have really enjoyed but Maui has my heart.

The one place I have no real desire to go to is Las Vegas my husband went last October met up with some old Navy Buddies they had a great time.

Next year we may either go to San Diego or Yellowstone still haven't decided.

Edited: 12 February 2014, 01:52
D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which is better?

We went to Maui last year and fell in love. Due to vouchers with Hawaiian air we got an awesomely cheap airfare and are going back in 12 days!!

But now my DH says we have to mix it up. Next year somewhere else, then we can do Maui again.

That is until we retire and become snowbirds in Maui one day :)

New Lenox, Illinois
Level Contributor
239 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which is better?

I love Maui! I love Vegas! We had our honeymoon in Maui and vowed to get back. It took us 21 years to get back, this time w/kids. My family enjoyed it that much that they want to move there! (In fact, for the last month my husband has said "just say the word, we'll move to Maui!" My husband and I went to Vegas twice! Vegas calls me too. The one thing about Vegas is you can do a long weekend , not so much with Maui. As our kids are getting older, we try to mix it up so they see what our great nation has to offer! If you are torn between Maui and Vegas, try to do a long weekend in Vegas and plan a great week or two in Hawaii!

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,986 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which is better?

Personally I enjoy Vegas but can't take more than three days and I need to get out. Death Valley has never been a place I want to visit. Yellowstone and Maui I could spend many days at either. But if I had to choose Maui would win out by far. You may want to look at another island. Each island truly has it's on vibe and attractions. I love Hawaii almost as much as Maui but it does take some driving to see many of the sites. But even Maui can't compete with the water clarity and coral with Hawaii. But we find Maui has more fish varieties. Kauai is not spectacular for snorkeling but is a truly beautiful place and takes very little time to get pretty much anywhere on the island.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
1,692 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which is better?

Our all time favorite vacation spot is England, it's like a second home to us. Fortunately, my husband's work takes hi there and we try to go once a year. We usually combine it with a visit to another European country,

We also love Hawaii for relaxation. We have family on Oahu and visit there about once a a year, combining it with a visit to another island on about every other trip.

Last fall we did a week on Maui, our first visit there. We also did two weeks in France and a week in North Norfolk in England, one of our favorite areas I was in Oahu for a week in November and I will go back to Oahu and Kauai in May. We will go to Germany for two weeks in June for work.

We love to travel!

chicago
Level Contributor
255 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which is better?

Thanks guys I think I know what I want ,ALL of it lol.Dreaming of Maui you should definitely check out Death Valley it is a wondrous place it is the first place I've ever experienced complete silence.The main reason I like Vegas is because it is located close to CA AZ and UT so there are many options.But Maui I know I'll come back.