We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shark safety

Ontario
Level Contributor
804 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Shark safety

I have read and follow the basics. I do find myself staying a little closer to shore this year. Would I be right in thinking that small bays should be relatively safe? I am thinking of places like the Dumps and Changs Cove.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,784 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shark safety

Don't swim in murky water. Don't swim at dawn or dusk. Don't wear shiny jewelry or other things. Don't swim out really far. Other than that, there's not much you can do in the way of prevention. The size of the bay has nothing to do with it, AFAIK. But, shark attacks really aren't all that common.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,374 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shark safety

PZP is exactly right. Sharks can go anywhere and there are no guarantees anywhere from shallow right out to deep. However, it will be much more dangerous driving to the beach than actually having a shark encounter.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Shark safety

I don't go in the water near anyone fishing or spear fishing. If they show up I leave.There is some thought that the increase in shark activity on Maui might be due in part to the increase in spear fishing. That is just like having bait in the water. That is also a worldwide trend

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
53,708 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shark safety

There was a shark spotted offshore by the Mana Kai (Kihei) yesterday, which resulted in the beach being closed for a few hours. Not that rare, really............but receiving much more attention these days due to the incidents in 2013. So, do your best to stay aware and follow the guidelines--but enjoy the ocean and all her wonders, too.

edmond, ok
Level Contributor
42 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shark safety

Does someone have a link to these shark safety guidelines?! I have never read abour shark safety and I am a very scared/paranoid person so this already has me worrying..lol

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,374 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shark safety

This is one of many you can find through google

…about.com/cs/beaches/ht/shark_attack.htm

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,916 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shark safety

Sharks can be anywhere!! Doesn't matter whether you are in a "cove" or not. Heck, there was a tiger shark spotted in Waikiki a couple of days ago!! You just never know. Take common sense precautions and you will be fine.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,004 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shark safety

State of Hawai‘i official site on sharks.

http://hawaiisharks.com/

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,374 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shark safety

Thanks 3chis! I was trying to find that link, but couldn't on my phone.

Muskego, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
260 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shark safety

We are currently staying at a condo where some people live full time. Lady at pool yesterday said neighbor is married to Hawaiian and he said too murky to snorkel. Too soon. I found that to be true when I snorkeled briefly yesterday. Too murky and I didn't feel safe. For some reason today at Wailea Beach there was a lot of small bark/tree debris floating on the water. Never saw that before.