We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

any car rental companies to stay away from???

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,706 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
any car rental companies to stay away from???

OK so I have an Alamo res from Discount Hawaii. Since I've been told to keep watching for other deals/price drops I was wondering if any there are any companies on offer that I should ignore or any that are particularly recommended if prices are the same??

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,844 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: any car rental companies to stay away from???

There have not been any huge complaints with any of the companies. Little ones here or there, but not a trend. I have done National and Alamo and both have been great. I have also heard good things about Budget. Like I have said tough, haven't heard anything bad about any of them.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: any car rental companies to stay away from???

Only one I have heard bad things about on the Hawaii forums is Advantage not even sure if they are on Maui.

We have used Enterprise for both our trips without issue. For our trip in May so far we our booked with Avis thru DHCR.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
49,506 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: any car rental companies to stay away from???

My only caution-about ALL the agencies--is to drop by a station with a vacuum if you have a lot of sand in the car at the end of your trip. They can, and have-charged cleaning fees. Although they warn people (it's in the zillion page tiny print contract) it can be a rude surprise!

New Brunswick
Level Contributor
235 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: any car rental companies to stay away from???

Advamtage is not at the airport but about 5 min away on Dairy Rd. I have used them a couple of times. They are a little bit agressive about insurance prepaid gas etc. and tend to get bad reviews. Just say no, and would not hesitate to use them if rates were better. Rentend a Nissan Versa no problems

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: any car rental companies to stay away from???

We have had very good luck with Costco/Budget.

Also make sure you do a complete inspection and note any damage. these cars get a lot of wear

Cleary check the windshield for nicks and I note even small nicks, scratches and dents on the body and check the underside that the last guy didn't slam a rock and dent the underside.

if get a lot of sand a $1 at the gas station takes care of that vs a $75 bill a week after the trip. Never had it happen to us but have heard of it.

Edited: 17 February 2014, 02:13
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,706 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: any car rental companies to stay away from???

Thanks for the tip about the sand! I would never have thought of that!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
49,506 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: any car rental companies to stay away from???

Glad I could help!

Yakima, Washington
Level Contributor
296 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: any car rental companies to stay away from???

Alamo, Enterprise and National are all the same company essentially. We used Alamo when in Maui and had great success.

Saratoga, California
Level Contributor
214 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: any car rental companies to stay away from???

I read on the internet once about being charged for a missing spare tire. It was recommended that you check that the spare tire is there.

I also read some horror stories about those "rent a wreck" places in Maui. I guess they have super low rates but the cars can be unsafe.

Stick with the major national companies. Also make sure you have the existing damage form, I did not get one until I was leaving the lot.

Oregon
Level Contributor
421 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: any car rental companies to stay away from???

We used Costco/Budget and were happy. My pal picked up the car while 2 of us wrangled luggage; she said the clerk really pushed upgrades (convertible Mustang! Jeep!) and additional insurance. Quite the hard sale!