We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Morning Whale Watch Suggestions

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Topic
Morning Whale Watch Suggestions

We will be staying in South Maui and have a whale watch scheduled with Trilogy out of Maalea at 2:15 but after warnings of rough seas I am going to cancel that one.

I prefer a catamaran to a raft, but am open. Would prefer to leave from South Maui rather than drive to Lahaina, but if I need to drive I will.

Help with suggestions please!

Thanks

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,643 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Morning Whale Watch Suggestions

Well if you drive to Lahaina, go with Trilogy. For even bigger boats, the Ocean project also...Almostgrownup really enjoys them.

Hmmm. Sorry, I don't know anymore out of the south. I thought Paragon would have had one.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Morning Whale Watch Suggestions

The Kai Kanani goes off the beach at the Makena Resort in the morning There was a post about them fish feeding last year. That may well have happened and that is certainly a no no. But I have been on the boat and have personally never seen that. We had an excellent time and they seemed very careful about the marine environment.

http://www.coral.org/fishfriendly

here is a list of fish friendly operators if you want to make that part of your decision

Edited: 17 February 2014, 03:25
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,643 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Morning Whale Watch Suggestions

In her other thread, DP already read about what that company did to the reef. It is easy to google it and see the stories of them not fixing things either.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,277 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Morning Whale Watch Suggestions

Blue water which is a zodiac leaves from the Kihei boat ramp.

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Morning Whale Watch Suggestions

Was just looking at Blue Water. Very convenient for sure. I also see good reviews

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,529 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Morning Whale Watch Suggestions

Lots of visitors speak highly of Blue water. We are doing Kuleana an a ocean Project and Capt. Steve. The Kuleans early bird was a total of $73 for three of us and we need to be in slashing by 7:00. We are early birds. Looking forward to booking Capt. Steve. Deb

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Morning Whale Watch Suggestions

Not that much of an early bird Deb. Was also looking at Capt Steve but he is out of Lahaina I believe

Thought I had resolved this months ago, I am soooo confused. Someone just pick one for me lol

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,529 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Morning Whale Watch Suggestions

It's a work thing for me cause I am usually there by give and cannot turn it off on vacation! I look forward to the day I leave it behind. Blue Water could be lots of fun and very close to your condo. Deb

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Morning Whale Watch Suggestions

So I cancelled Trilogy and leaning towards Blue Water.

I'll just go with the raft thing, I have 2 sunset catamaran sails over the course of the trip, so will try something different here.

Just hoping for great whale sightings and photos. Depending on when DH decides to golf, maybe I can stick another whale watch when we are staying west.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,095 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Morning Whale Watch Suggestions

Wishing you whales and calm water, though I usually see the most activity on days of choppy seas :)