We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How crowded is Westin in July?

Seoul, South Korea
2 posts
Save Topic
How crowded is Westin in July?

Me, my wife and 12 years old son will probably going to stay at Westin in July. We are afraid that it would be too crowded there. The reason we chose Westin is because of their water slides, so we want to know how crowded it is there at the pool area.

If it's too crowded there, we might stay at grand wailea.(more expensive) I am guessing it would be crowded there too, but since the pool is so big, we might feel less crowded.. am I wrong?

I would love to hear your suggestions...

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How crowded is Westin in July?

I would call the hotel confirm your reservation and then ask them what the occupancy rate is at that time. I do that and they always give you an answer. Just be nice. You can do it closer to your stay and switch if necessary. Find out if there are any corp conventions during your stay. They are planned a year in advance

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How crowded is Westin in July?

Well July is prime summer vacation for families from the mainland US so the resorts me that have the big tricked out pools are a big draw for families with kids so I imagine both places and pools will be crowded the Grand Wailea even more so IMO.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,845 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How crowded is Westin in July?

Pick which ever one meets your needs and budget the best. Like UNCMOM say's any of the hotels on Maui with pools like these are going to be crowded especially in July!!

United States
Level Contributor
841 posts
306 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How crowded is Westin in July?

If you're talking the Westin Villas, they have so many pools that the crowds get really spread out among the complex. The one time we went to check out the Grand Wailea, in April no less, the pools were PACKED and the whole scene was chaos with screaming kids. It would have to be practially free for me to ever consider staying there.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
370 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How crowded is Westin in July?

We love staying at The Westin Maui, but we wait until late Sept. Yes, it will be crowded in July, so hold your son out of school for a week in late Sept. and you'll have a great time there.

Seoul, South Korea
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How crowded is Westin in July?

Thanks for your suggestions... Would Honua kai be any better??

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
370 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How crowded is Westin in July?

In July, it is busy everywhere on Maui. It won't feel as crowded at Honua Kai, but I prefer the location of The Westin Maui being right next door to Whalers Village.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How crowded is Westin in July?

Which Westin? There are two on Ka'anapali: the Westin Resort and Spa (which I don't recommend) and the Westin Villas ... which are condos.

As said above, you can count on crowds and kids in July. It is peak vacation season for families.

Also note that there are no "grounds" at the Westin Resort and Spa. The pools are terraced "up." No space to spread out. At least at the Westin Villas you can have some quiet to yourself.

The Grand Wailea will be a zoo. Absolutely.

I would choose Honua Kai over the Westin Resort and Spa! Honua Kai is next to the Westin Villas. Here is a rough map of the Ka'anapali resort area. Honua Kai is just past the Westin Villas (A). If this comes up small, click on it. kaanapaliresort.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/…

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
370 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How crowded is Westin in July?

If you have kids, you'll love The Westin Maui.

California
Level Contributor
6,685 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How crowded is Westin in July?

We have also been to both resorts in July with kids and yes, both will be full but don't expect the GW to feel less crowded. I've always found that the GW doesn't have enough lounge chairs for the amount of guests. By the time you get to the pool in July all the seats will be full. People rush down first thing in the morning and save chairs by leaving towels, books etc. on them so that no one takes them.

I get so sick of this that if someone isn't actively using the chairs I just move there stuff and if they say anything I just tell them that it was empty when I found it. The pool attendants are suppose to stop people from "saving" chairs but they don't do anything. Very frustrating during high season.