We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rainy Forecast

Duluth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Rainy Forecast

I know weather can change quickly but sites are starting to show the extended forecast and it appears the rain is coming back for the first week of March. We are coming in from snow and cold and are hoping for lots of warm sunshine! Since this is our first time in Maui I have to ask, does it usually rain all day or are they quickly moving rains? (We are staying in Lahaina area.) Also, what do others do when it is raining outside for long periods of time? I'm picturing days of rain and hanging out in our room or a bar! :) Thanks!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,219 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rainy Forecast

It really is too far out to predict the first week of March. There are times when the rain is quickly passing showers and there are times when there is a winter storm system moving through that will be there a bit, unfortunately sometimes days. That is winter on a tropical island. You never really know until you get there. Depending on how hard it is raining, you can still drive around and explore, do some shopping. And yes, sit, relax and watch the ocean. Do not drive on the restricted roads during rain- they can and do flood with mud/rock slides. Also do not go in ocean that is brown or murky from runoff

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,374 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rainy Forecast

Don't look at anything more than 2 days out. Even then, it's suspect!!

There is a difference between our trade showers and winter storms. Trade showers are quick moving, more than a mist than anything and are usually in the early morning/late evening hours.

Winter storms blow in and generally speaking last just a day or two. The rain can be heavy or just a drizzle but it will be cloudy!! Sometimes they can stall and if they do then all bets are off!!

For the best weather forecast use this web-site. www.hawaiiweathertoday.com

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,738 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rainy Forecast

It can all change quickly, but this winter has had lots of (much needed) rain and many days of southerly winds. It's still nice and warm. The birds are singing. The plants are loving this weather and blooming like crazy. As long as you have A/C at the ready to fight the humidity, you'll still be happy in Hawaii. We go home to Chicagoland early March, where birdsong and blooms will still be two months away. (Staying longer next year -- even if it would be a duplicate of this winter.)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
80 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rainy Forecast

Can someone tell me if it will rain on 4/14 in Maui? Also, what will the lottery numbers be for this weekend?

I too am looking at the forecasts for Maui in March but know that it's fruitless at this point. I'm taking the advice of the other posters. Rain or shine....i'm going either way.....just enjoy.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rainy Forecast

Here is one source that I keep track of when heading to Maui. It is the actual global satellite.

intellicast.com/Global/…Infrared.aspx

It can give you a feel of the current weather patterns. You see there is one system just west of Hawaii that will blow through and then not much else after that. So not being a weatherman who knows, things change. But I have found this to be pretty accurate over the years as to whether there are any large storms coming as these don't just spring up over night but take about a week to cross the Pacific. if I don't see any big storms then I don't worry about the weather

Edited: 18 February 2014, 19:40
Duluth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rainy Forecast

Thanks for the information everyone.

I do realize that weather changes quickly and can be very unpredictable... I live in MN where we can have a 60* temp change in a day! I really was trying to plan things to do for rainy days if it happens since I have never been there. We have a few excursions booked already but obviously up to the tour guides if it can go. We are coming no matter what of course and I know it will be the trip of a lifetime.. but my planning nature just had me curious!

And Mookster.. I already won the lottery by getting this wonderful trip to Maui...

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rainy Forecast

Jean if you take a look at the web site I sent and look to the left of Hawaii the incoming weather from left to right it looks good for the next couple of weeks...no big storms. Not a weatherman, but if were me I would guess I will have decent weather. if you see a big blob develop by Japan then that will head to Hawaii.

I agree with you, a lot of time and money goes into a trip. Now local weather, wind, rain can change day to day. But I always look for the big ones that will hit island wide.

Duluth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Rainy Forecast

Great advice John and I saved the link, thanks!

Chicagoland, you are right... no birds chirping here for a while yet! Today it is high 30's and after the past 4 months of subfrozen weather.. it feels great! Can't wait for 70's and 80's!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Rainy Forecast

Great I am glad that helped. As these storms and moisture cross the Pacific eastward they can be pulled northward by the Jetstream and or blocked by the high pressure that causes the trade winds. That is why it is so hard to predict Hawaii weather more that a couple of days out. It is hard to say what the wind will do with the moisture coming in. So even if you see a storm coming it might go north hit Kauai and then Seattle and then Duluth. But who cares you won't be there.

Have a great trip and enjoy yourself.

Muskego, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
260 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rainy Forecast

Hasn't been sunny on our trip here in Maui since Saturday. It does get a bit depressing when you have solid haze and on and off rain for more than 2 days in a row! Once again, didn't learn my lesson to do ALL outdoors activities when it is nice and save all the shopping and indoor activities for that first bad weather day. I'm sure it will clear up when we board the plane tomorrow! I know, I know--still beats snow, but a person can only shop so much!