We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upcountry Road Trip

Madison WI
Level Contributor
331 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Upcountry Road Trip

Since I'm making my wife go on 2 snorkel/whale watching trips, she wants to take a day and visit some places in Upcountry. So, she made a list and I'm in need of help planning our route, we're staying at Makena Resort and her list includes: Ocean Vodka Farm, Surfing Goat Dairy, Ali'i Kula Lavender Farm, Maui's Winery (Ulupalakua Ranch), Pineapple Country(in no particular order). She also mentioned volunteering an afternoon helping at the humane society, walking/bathing animals as she's an animal lover.Can we fit all of these places into a 1 day tour? Any places in the vicinity we should see or eat at while on our "tour"? Thanks for the help !!

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Upcountry Road Trip

Yes, no problem doing a one day upcountry tour. In the back of the ranch general store/gift shop is a great place to get burgers and sandwiches to eat outside in their picnic area. Are you going to the top of Haleakala volcano?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Upcountry Road Trip

My wife's fav for lunch or dinner

http://bevgannonrestaurants.com/haliimaile/

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,265 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Upcountry Road Trip

I could be wrong but I thought the pineaplles were grown up in Kapalua.

I don't know where the humane society is but I applaud your wife I am a animal lover too but the upcountry part already sounds like a lot to do in one day maybe she could volunteer one morning or afternoon I know they always need help.

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Upcountry Road Trip

if you still have time after all that, its fun to visit the upcountry cowboy town and art shop mecca of Makawao. Also, the old hippie town turned surfer town and art shop mecca of Paia which is at the beach down the hill from Makawao.

Madison WI
Level Contributor
331 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Upcountry Road Trip

We're contemplating the sunrise volcano excursion, but how long of a drive is it to the top from our resort? I spend a LOT of time fishing(usually on the water by 3:30am) so I've seen lots of sunrises, just not from a mountain. Is there an order or route I should follow to make sure we hit all her destinations? Thanks again !!

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Upcountry Road Trip

Plan on somewhere around an hour and a half. The rental car office will give you a good road map. With this and a good Maui guide book, you will be able to map out your route to your wife's destinations.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Upcountry Road Trip

With all of that I'd bargain for a 3rd snorkel/whale trip

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Upcountry Road Trip

Bring lots of warm clothes for the summit. It is often in the 40 degree range up there and if the wind is blowing, it can feel even colder.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,030 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Upcountry Road Trip

UMCMOM.. Only a small area is growing pineapples now on Maui. The commercaial shipping of pineapple isn't anymore. The one and only Pineapple tour is in Hali"maile.

And you can choose a tour with lunch at Gannon's.

http://mauipineappletour.com/

Badger, I'd allow 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 hour for the drive up from Makena. My DH drives it a lot leaving from Kihei and he allows 2 1/2.

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Upcountry Road Trip

You will not regret going. The upcountry is gorgeous countryside and if the skies are clear you will have spectacular views of the island and the oceans.