We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can we fly from direct to Maui

Welwyn Garden City...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Where can we fly from direct to Maui

Hi planning our first trip to Hawaii and think we have settled on Maui. We need to fly out July after the 19th.

We will be flying from the UK, stopping over in the US or Canada for a couple of nights. We can choose where depending on direct onward flights to Maui. Prefer not San Fran as we have been lots of times and probably not Vegas as it doesn't appeal. Trying to keep costs down.

Is there a list anywhere to help us plan, I have searched without luck.

Or can any of you suggest a better plan?

Thanks

Fairfax Station...
Level Contributor
147 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where can we fly from direct to Maui

We have flown direct from LA, Chicago, Dallas/Fort Worth and Salt Lake City. Seems like Chicago might be a good break-point for your trip, the flight to Maui from there is about 10 hours.

washington
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where can we fly from direct to Maui

Vancouver bc or seattle washington

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where can we fly from direct to Maui

We have also flown direct from Dallas/Ft. Worth and Chicago. We're flying from San Jose, California this year, but it's in the Bay area. I think there are also direct flights from Los Angeles.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where can we fly from direct to Maui

San Diego direct to Maui in time for lunch on Alaska Air Lines

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
22,586 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where can we fly from direct to Maui

Aloha,

Welcome to TA.

Check the HA map for the list of cities they serve.

Aloha

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
22,586 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where can we fly from direct to Maui

Aloha,

If you don't mind an HNL connection, you can take the HA flight from JFK nonstop to HNL, with an interisland hop to Maui.

Mundelein, IL
Level Contributor
157 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where can we fly from direct to Maui

Do you care about which airlines or airline alliance? If you are a British Air/Oneworld then LAX or DFW would be options. LAX might be the best option for something to do for a few days. I am not sure if you can get direct flights from the UK to LAX or DFW, so you can get a free stop over.

I United is OK then perhaps ORD as Chicago is nice in the summer.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Omaha, Nebraska...
Level Contributor
241 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where can we fly from direct to Maui

We're flying direct from Phoenix (US Airways). Our other option was from Dallas (American). Or Seattle (Alaska)

Oregon
Level Contributor
423 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where can we fly from direct to Maui

We flew Hawaiian Airlines direct from Seattle, Washington. Seattle is a terrific city to visit -- you would love it.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,616 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where can we fly from direct to Maui

Unless you plan to spend at least two nights in a city, consider just pressing on. The back and forth -- and through airport security well ahead of departure -- feels like such a waste of vacation time, unless you are going to enjoy the stop-over city.

I look for widebody nonstops on at least the 'long leg' as we travel from Chicago to Maui. We fly AA, going ORD-DFW-OGG. I avoid 757's and the west coast cities that use those narrowbody aircraft. We also fly into HNL then stay within airport security before flying on to OGG. I believe Hawaiian Airlines flies a larger plane out of Oakland. Vancouver would be good. The nonstops from the East Coast into HNL are an option. Options are JFK, Newark and Dulles.

You want HA within the islands. You want any HA flight as part of your mainland ticket if you are checking luggage. (Can only through-check that way.)