We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental logistics

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Car rental logistics

I see how many people recommend one person getting the luggage and one person taking the shuttle to rent the car. How does it work if both of us want to be able to drive? Do I need to bring my husband's drivers license with me to the car rental place or will they require that he be present in order to be on the contract? Returning to Maui April 13-20. Getting very excited!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,220 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental logistics

Spouse also needs to sign. So you can also drive back quick to the car rental place to have him go in and sign, or you can go into a different office they have on island to sign. For example, most have an office on the west side, and you can swing by there at a later time to have him sign.

Have fun!

Calgary
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental logistics

At Alamo, they were fine with just me giving my hubby's license #. So much easier for 1 person to go, then you don't have to haul luggage on the shuttle and one person can get the car while the other wait for luggage to come off the plane

Saratoga, California
Level Contributor
219 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental logistics

With Hertz gold membership (free), the spouse is automatically included. I was surprised that they did not need to see my wife's drivers license.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,220 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental logistics

Alamo is the one that told me husband needed to come back and sign. Maybe difference in person you get? When I do National, I am an Emerald member and the spouse is automatically included.

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental logistics

Just one extra add on. As soon as you get off the plane get going to the rental building. Maui airport isn't real big an most likely your bags are out of the plane before you are. We do this and even with Alamo's kiosk which is really fast there has been a time or two my wife was waiting for me to show with the car.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental logistics

Thanks, everyone. Maybe I'll check with the car rental company (currently Alamo via DHCR). We may just both have to go on the shuttle just to make sure.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental logistics

we never did the wait for luggage and Ill go get the car trick, never really saw a big time savings in doing so but never had to wait long for luggage either. by the time the car rental bus came we had our luggage anyways.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,168 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental logistics

Budget includes spouse at no additional charge...no need to sign or present spouse's Driver's License.

Most recent experience at LIH last week....

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental logistics

Avis includes spouse/domestic partner with a clean driving record for free. I did not have my wife's license and no biggie. Dollar charges $12/day, and as of last year wanted a license too. I just went through this with Avis on Sunday so info is current.

arkansas
Level Contributor
470 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental logistics

The time saved is not from waiting for the luggage, it's getting behind everyone else that just got off your plane at the car rental desk. We have done it both ways and the split has always been much faster because I was first or second in line at the desk..