We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wailea Marriott vs Hyatt Regency

darnestown md
Level Contributor
197 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Wailea Marriott vs Hyatt Regency

We are planning a trip to Hawaii in August(Oahu, Maui, Kauai). Two adults and two teenage boys(16 and 18). We will be on Maui for 3-4 nights. Debating between Hyatt Regency(grounds and pools look better, but bedding is one queen and one double bed) vs Wailea Marriott(has two queen beds, grounds and pools don't seem as nice). Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Wailea Marriott vs Hyatt Regency

You might check the Fairmont Kea Lani near the Wailea Marriott it us all suite

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,249 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wailea Marriott vs Hyatt Regency

Any reason you're focusing on these two? Hyatt is the nicer hotel with more of a kid friendly pool complex. Unfortunately the beach isn't very good out front. The Wailea Marriott is on the point but a few minutes walk to two good beaches. Their "Serenity Pool" is lovely, but adults only which leaves out the 16yr old.

Probably more fun for teens up in West Maui, but the Hyatt is a long walk from Whaler's Village... though the shuttles (including to Lahaina) allow for some independent exploring for kids that age.

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Wailea Marriott vs Hyatt Regency

IMHO the Hyatt has the most beautiful, romantic grounds for adults, however the Westin Resort Hotel in Kaanapali has the most fun pools for teens and also has closer access to the action and beaches that teens like.

chicago area
Level Contributor
1,179 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Wailea Marriott vs Hyatt Regency

Just me but when I'm in vacation with my wife I want a bedroom and a bathroom to ourselves. For less than you would pay at the above mentioned places you could get a nice 1 bedroom 2 bath condo with pull out sofa or a 2 bed 2 bath condo, many on or across the street from the beach and walking to distance to dining. Check the VRBO website.

darnestown md
Level Contributor
197 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wailea Marriott vs Hyatt Regency

Thanks so much for the advice. I was looking at hotels that have a Costco package available. But would consider other hotel recommendations.

Spokane, WA
Level Contributor
1,422 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wailea Marriott vs Hyatt Regency

I would choose the Hyatt. It's a beautiful hotel and the kids would love the pool. It's a short walk or drive to Whalers village and only a 5-10 minute drive into Lahaina. With teenagers I personally think the west side of Maui is a better choice.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wailea Marriott vs Hyatt Regency

I also would recommend the Hyatt with kids that age ... but I am more concerned with your short stay. Usually for Maui, we recommend a minimum of 5 nights. More is better! Do you realize that you will be losing at least a 1/2 day of your vacation with each Island transition? And you will sacrifice weekly rates on your cars, and probably your hotel as well.

You could spend a month on Maui and not cover all the sights. Same with Oahu ... and you'll need more than a few nights on Kauai as well.

So be careful. You don't want to spend your vacation in airports. Understand that you will encounter the full US airport process for each interisland flight.

I've seen two double beds at the Hyatt. Make sure to consider the type of room included in the package.

The Marriott in Wailea has very nice pools, but it is not on a beach. The Hyatt is on a beach, but not a very good one. It's only a very, very short walk to a better stretch.

Texas
Level Contributor
846 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wailea Marriott vs Hyatt Regency

We have had stays at both of those hotels several times--the kids will enjoy the Hyatt. We never drive or take the shuttle to Whaler's Village--it will be a fun walk for your boys. I suppose for 3 or 4 nights a hotel is the way to go, but you can get a really nice condo for less than either of these hotels if you can stay just a wee bit longer. I am pretty sure you will want to stay longer! :)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Wailea Marriott vs Hyatt Regency

The Marriott is oceanfront sits on a point between 2 great beaches there is a walkway and it is an easy walk. Ulua is to the right and a great snorkel beach. The Hyatt beach in my opinion is not as nice

Edited: 24 February 2014, 15:10
10. Re: Wailea Marriott vs Hyatt Regency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2015, 07:16