We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bad Condo Review -- What Would You Do..

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Bad Condo Review -- What Would You Do..

Hi All,

We are just trying to get the finishing touches together for our trip next week (8 days away!!) and, I've stumbled across something that dampened my spirit so to say. We are staying at Kauhale Makai for ten nights and we rented the condo through VRBO. This is the condo we have chosen: http://www.vrbo.com/160015

I have got into the habit of constantly looking for new reviews about this unit and the one I found yesterday has made me quite nervous. This is the most recent review of the condo we have booked: tripadvisor.ca/…CHECK_RATES_CONT

I knew when we were booking that this would not be a fancy room by any means but, I need need need it to be clean! Obviously at this point there is not much I can do in regards to booking but, should I contact the owner and copy and paste the review to him? I know just being on Maui is enough..and believe me it is! I just really wanted a clean room to come back to at the end of long (AMAZING) days...

Any thoughts are so appreciated!

p.s I'm sorry if the links don't work, I never tried to post with links before.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,082 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bad Condo Review -- What Would You Do..

I would probably call the owner and tell him you just read this new review. Ask him if he was aware and if you need to worry. Sometimes the cleaning people just don't come through as they should. If you're not comfortable calling an email would be OK. Personally, I like to talk to whoever I'm renting from.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bad Condo Review -- What Would You Do..

My immediate response was to te you not to worry about it, but I really like Barbara's suggestion. Very smart advice because you most likely will worry and that call might really set you at ease. I hope the owner is able to make you feel better about your upcoming vacation. Deb

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,219 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bad Condo Review -- What Would You Do..

I agree with the others. I would call and say you are really Loki g forward to your stay, but saw this and was wondering if they saw it and how they were addressing it. Have a good vacation!

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,414 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bad Condo Review -- What Would You Do..

I'm going through the same with an accommodation on Oahu. Problem is, the complains were only over the very busy holiday season (same issue, cleanliness, mold, dust bunnies, hair in shower trap). Reviews before the holiday season were very reasonable, so I don't know what to think. At least my unit is cancellable, so I booked another cancellable unit and will make my ultimate decision closer to the date.

I have a feeling that during the busiest times, things fall through the cracks. You'll read more complaints about unavailability of rental cars, crowds at restaurants so you'll need reservations, etc. Holiday travel is popular and I think expectations run high.

Call or e-mail the condo owner with your concerns.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,001 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bad Condo Review -- What Would You Do..

I agree about contacting the owner for their response to these negative comments. I might even ask if it's possible the reviewer had the wrong unit number because the VRBO ad indicates," Immaculately kept unit, grounds and gardens." Also, the reviews on VRBO are not consistent with this bad review.

I would also send a PM to the reviewer to see if you can get more information - confirm that it's the right unit, the same owner/manager you are dealing with, did they try to resolve it while they were there and how responsive was the owner/manager? How long was their stay. (I'm curious about the reviewer's location being Kihei and staying in a condo in Kihei - but sometimes people use a different location than where they actually live.)

There are two sides to every story and sometimes disgruntled clients write an overly negative review as a way of getting revenge ... not implying that the reviewer is guilty of this, but you'll have a better sense of the situation once you talk to the owner/manager of the unit.

Hope it all works out for you!

Edited: 24 February 2014, 18:44
Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,631 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bad Condo Review -- What Would You Do..

I second to PM the reviewer and call the manager to clarify and questions.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,410 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bad Condo Review -- What Would You Do..

Also, how many reviews has this person ever written? You can look at their history, to see how they wrote any other reviews. Were they all negative? Or were there some good ones in the mix as well?

Yakima, Washington
Level Contributor
296 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bad Condo Review -- What Would You Do..

Sounds to me like a picky person. If I declined every hotel stay based on 1 bad review amongst many good reviews I would have any place to stay. Our trip to Maui this month went very smooth. Had I not gone with Westin Resorts and Spa based on a few negative reviews I would have missed out on a really wonderful Maui experience.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bad Condo Review -- What Would You Do..

Hi All,

Thank you so so much for your responses. I sent the owner an email with the review and, he returned my email and called within a few hours! Apparently this particular guest had not contacted the owner about their issues during their stay. Owners can't fix a problem without knowing about it! I feel much more at ease and, I know we have made the right decision.

Again, thank you so much!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,410 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bad Condo Review -- What Would You Do..

That's great! The fact that he got back to you so soon with a phone call is good news.

Have a wonderful time away from the snow, and wave to the whales for me!