We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First family trip to Maui! Help please!!

Chicago, Illinois
8 posts
Save Topic
First family trip to Maui! Help please!!

Hi,

We are a family of six staying at Wailea Beach Villas last week in March I am overwhelmed with all the must do's & I think I have narrowed it down to these activities. A private guided road to Hana tour, some sort of snorkeling tour would like a smaller guided one, and a Luau.

We are spending so much money on flights( coming from Chicago ) and our place I don't want to drop the ball on our must do's! Our kids are very active ages 11-15.

We zip lined all over Costa Rica last year so I don't think that is a must do! Husband wants to do a helicopter tour but from trolling posts everyone seems to say to save it for Kauai or Big Island.

Any advice appreciated!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,526 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First family trip to Maui! Help please!!

I am not sure I would do the road to Hana with kiddos unless they really like scenic road trips on a curvy/windy slow going road.

I would book Old Lahaina luau - do that today! :)

I would book a snorkel tour for sure, though there is great snorkeling from shore on Maui.

Maybe some hiking up at Haleakala? I think that would be good for the whole family, though I would imagine most days would be best spent at the beach. Have fun! :)

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,219 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First family trip to Maui! Help please!!

I agree.. Book Old Lahaina Luau today. My kids enjoyed it and it is very traditional.

Look at a Paragon snorkel tour or Blue Water rafting.

If you are doing more islands you can wait for the helicopter, but many of us have enjoyed them on Maui as well. They are expensive though.

The best things...beaches, shore snorkeling and hiking are free!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First family trip to Maui! Help please!!

Teralani does a whale watch/snorkel tour just south of you off the beach at Makena Resort

There is an interesting hike south of you at La Perouse Bay

everytrail.com/guide/king-s-highway-hoapili-…

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,410 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First family trip to Maui! Help please!!

WHALE WATCHING!!!! You haven't got a whale watch tour booked. They will still be around. And yes, you will see whales on the snorkel tour, but the whale watches are dedicated to finding whales. And they are about $35.00 each, so very reasonable.

Have a wonderful time making memories with the kids!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,219 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First family trip to Maui! Help please!!

Actually, Teralani is out of the west...Kaanapali.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First family trip to Maui! Help please!!

Kai Kanani out of Makena thanks

Oroville, California
Level Contributor
321 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First family trip to Maui! Help please!!

Three activities for a weeks stay is a good start anymore than that and you might lose what Maui is all about great beaches and beautiful sunsets. Rent or buy a couple of boogie boards for the kids and cut them loose in the surf they'll play for hours. Also the nice thing about Maui is there's always plenty of last minute activities available, so don't stress just enjoy your Hawaiian vacation.

US
Level Contributor
139 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First family trip to Maui! Help please!!

Private guided to Hana with kids 11-15 is no problem. I'm from Chicago... if they can handle an El ride to Wrigley Field, they can handle the Road to Hana ... I wish my parents took me when I was that age :)))

Be sure to drive down to La Perouse Bay (just south of Wailea, go till you can't drive any more) and check that out as well... well worth it... half day would do it... and it's free.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g29220-d26…

Belleville...
Level Contributor
21 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First family trip to Maui! Help please!!

I know my kids would not have enjoyed the Hana trip at those ages. They would have been bored to tears! You don't have to drive all the way to Hana though. Maybe just go halfway and be sure to stop at Halfway to Hana for their delicious banana bread! If the kids are enjoying the trip, keep going but if they'd rather do something other than sitting in a car, turn around and head back.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
40 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First family trip to Maui! Help please!!

We are doing our first family trip there as well. We've book the Discover Lanai trip, my kids really want the road to Hana (they are very easy going) and we may do the Old Lahina Luau. If time permits, a whale watching tour.

We are from Chicago too and the airfare is a KILLER - but we need this trip based on our weather!!!!!