We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DHCR - Alamo - Insurance

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
220 posts
1 review
Save Topic
DHCR - Alamo - Insurance

My husband and I reserved cars in Maui and Kauai through Alamo using DHCR. I understand that the cost of insurance is not included in the quoted price. How much is insurance when renting through Alamo?

Thank you!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
486 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DHCR - Alamo - Insurance

Check the Alamo website. It usually is quite pricey, $20-30 per day. You might check to see if your credit card company provides insurance (many do) or check with your auto insurance company and see if you are covered.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,123 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DHCR - Alamo - Insurance

You'll want to rent using a credit card that provides insurance. And check with your insurance company about a rental-car coverage rider. They're not expensive. Insurance from the car companies is a rip-off.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,285 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DHCR - Alamo - Insurance

DHCR lists the insurance costs for each rental company in the "More" link - here's the one for Alamo (scroll part way down the page for insurance information) discounthawaiicarrental.com/alamo-terms.shtml

Agree with the above recommendation re finding out if you have coverage elsewhere.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
220 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: DHCR - Alamo - Insurance

Thank you...I never knew that credit card companies provide this! I just checked my Discover card and saw that they provide coverage but they also list this information:

"This coverage is not all-inclusive, which means it does not cover such things as personal injury or personal liability. It does not cover you for any damages to other vehicles or property. It does not cover you for any injury to any party."

Do you usually try to have coverage that would cover damages to other vehicles, property or injuries to others?? I just don't want us to have a problem if something were to happen when we're there....

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,354 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DHCR - Alamo - Insurance

Do you own a car? If so, check with your insurance company as far a what is covered on a rental.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
220 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: DHCR - Alamo - Insurance

I just called the insurance company for our car. They insure vacation car rentals and provide collision & liability insurance as well as road side assistance. So we're all set! Thanks everyone!!!! :)

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
824 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: DHCR - Alamo - Insurance

I assume these comments re own car insurance companies providing cover for rental cars is for US residents, what about Australian residents, how does the Insurance work then? Thanks, Karen

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,201 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: DHCR - Alamo - Insurance

Usually non USA residents need to buy extra insurance offered by the auto companies.

In my home state of California we usually suggest that foreign nationals use a company like:

www.rentalcars.com or similar which will include all insurance necessary in one price.

I don't know if that works well here in Hawaii.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,858 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: DHCR - Alamo - Insurance

I have a rider on one of my regular car policies that covers car rental insurance - only costs like $16 a year. Well worth it - and I know I have that extra from my credit card as well. :)

10. Re: DHCR - Alamo - Insurance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2015, 05:19