We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westin or Grand Wailea for teens plus food

san diego
Level Contributor
53 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Westin or Grand Wailea for teens plus food

Planning a trip to Maui and cant decide between the westin or grand Wailea. we will be traveling with four boys teens (2 families) ages 13 and 15. We leaned more towards the Grand Wailea bt the food around there is outrageous. I heard that it may be less expensive by the westin. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Carla

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
42,986 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westin or Grand Wailea for teens plus food

Which Westin? There is a resort type and condo type both located in west Maui. The Grand Wailea food is expensive but the surrounding areas, especially Kihei will offer a lot of cheaper alternatives for meals.

Oroville, California
Level Contributor
283 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westin or Grand Wailea for teens plus food

Hi Carla

You’re correct Grand Wailea can be pricey when it comes to eating, so here are some suggestions. Before arriving at the resort load up on snacks, fruit & breakfast food items. Your room will have a small refrigerator get a couple of boxes of their favorite cereal & gallon of milk. Second make sure you rent a car they’re several places within 5 to 10 minutes from resort that will offer reasonable priced dining. In the Kola café at the resort they sell a large tumbler that can be refilled with soft drinks for a dollar. The café also sells a very reasonable priced pizza diner package. The strength of GW is the boys will be in a controlled environment with loads of activities. You and your husband can relax by the adult pool while the boys run crazy in the water park.

Edited: 25 February 2014, 17:43
Yakima, Washington
Level Contributor
296 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westin or Grand Wailea for teens plus food

We stayed at the Westin Maui Resort right next to whalers Village and found food very accessible and reasonably priced food there as well. Westin Maui has an adult only pool as well as many other pools for the younger crowd.

san diego
Level Contributor
53 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westin or Grand Wailea for teens plus food

I'm sorry the westin Maui resort and spa ka anapali. They have a few offers that I am not sure which hotel to pick. Thank you for your input it is truly appreciated! Now I just need to decide it seems that the Westin may be more economical in comparison but the Grand Wailea seems to have alot more pools. Then again the location of the Westin seems very nice

Decisions decisions!

Nelson Bay...
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Westin or Grand Wailea for teens plus food

We stayed at the Westin Spa & Resort for 5 nights in Jan2014, including 2 teenage daughters. Had a fanatastic time, the Westin was perfect. Good meals at the resort or next door at Whalers Village, especially Lealani's & ABC store for supplies.

san diego
Level Contributor
53 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Westin or Grand Wailea for teens plus food

Thank you so much for your input! This puts me at ease, I was wondering if we would miss out by going to the westin instead of the Grand Wailea.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,274 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Westin or Grand Wailea for teens plus food

The Grand Wailea versus the Westin Resort and Spa? No contest ... the Grand Wailea. The Westin has no grounds, the pools are stacked, it's noisy ... I never recommend it!

If you give us your nightly accommodations budget, we can help you with other recommendations. Note that the Grand Wailea and the Westin Resort and Spa are in different areas of the Island. Which area do you prefer?

Also - the Westin VILLAS (also on Ka'anapali) may be perfect for you. They are very nice condos with great pools. And because they are condos, they have kitchens - and washers/dryers.

Here is a rough map of the Ka'anapali resort area.

Edited: 27 February 2014, 05:27
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,274 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Westin or Grand Wailea for teens plus food

kaanapaliresort.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/…

Sorry! I'm struggling with new software. If this Ka'anapali map comes up small, click on it.

California
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Westin or Grand Wailea for teens plus food

We have stayed at both places. The Westin was without kids and Grand Wailea was with kids. They are both really nice places! We decided on GW last summer because our kids love water. I think the beach and pools are better at the GW! As someone else mentioned, stop by the store for breakfast, lunch, drinks, and snack items. We only ate out for dinner. The Shops of Wailea is walking distance from the hotel. We ate most dinners during happy hour so the meals cost way less. There is an ABC Store and another similar store but I can't think of the name of it. Our kids also liked going to the shopping center to the ice cream place for ice cream and root beer floats. You can get in the car and drive 5 minutes to Kihei and have all sorts of options too.

The Westin is also really nice and near Whaler's Village shopping center with restaurants. We spent one day of our trip in that area. We walked around the Westin and the pools (before we switched from the condo to the GW) and our kids asked if we could stay at the Westin. After staying at the GW, I asked them if we should stay at the Westin next time or go back to the GW, and they said GW. Had they not seen the GW, I think they would have also had a great time at the Westin, so either choice would be great!

Another thing to consider depending on the length of your trip - staying in condos for most of your trip and 2-3 night at a hotel. We were in Maui for 12 nights so we stayed in a condo (Ekahi next to our favorite beach Keawakapu) for 10 nights and the GW for 2 nights. It was nice to be able to spread out, have a full kitchen, and washing machine!

san diego
Level Contributor
53 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Westin or Grand Wailea for teens plus food

Thank you all for your input. We will be renting a car and with the deals going on the Grand Wailea is about $700 more total. We are not big fans of condos (its my only time of the year where I don't have to cook) As for the beach we don't have a preferrence we have never gone to Maui so we need to explore everything. We will be there for 8 nights and want to spend time relaxing in the resorts in between the exploring. That's why at first I thought of the Westin since I heard that there are more restaurants in that area, but now with the car I don't mind driving at all. My boys love the water but they also love to just relax and hang out. Hum decisions decisions (love these kind of decisions).

Again thank you so much for all your input!