We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bad news, maybe good news re: air travel

hudson valley
Level Contributor
2,707 posts
Save Topic
Bad news, maybe good news re: air travel

Something new for those discussions on which is the best airline to use.

I'm guessing it's bad news for most. Delta has announced that they're changing their frequent flier program to award miles based on spending instead of distance traveled. "Passengers will garner from 5 to 11 miles for each dollar spent on airfares depending on their frequent-flier status"

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101448505

Those higher rates will, of course, apply only to those who fly most often, and that's not most of us. My recent trip from JFK to OGG totaled just under 10,000 miles. Under the new system, even at 11 miles per dollar we'll be getting fewer miles on any airfare of less than $910 for that trip. Those who only fly a couple of times a year for vacations will presumably be getting 5 to 7 miles, making them losers on airfares of less than $1425, or even as much as $2000. Since itineraries that are 50% shorter usually aren't 50% cheaper it may be even worse for those making shorter trips.

OTOH, if you fly frequently and have to pony up for expensive fares you may be able to acquire more miles under this method. If you pay for first class it should also increase your miles unless you get a really great price.

Jet Blue and Southwest already use this model, but Delta is the first major carrier to announce the change.

On the positive side, if you earn miles from a credit card or other affiliate programs I presume the awards will remain the same and be based strictly on how much you spend.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,630 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bad news, maybe good news re: air travel

If you use the Delta AMEX card tack on two more miles for each dollar the ticket costs.

When we go to Hawaii we use miles to upgrade which means we have to book K class or higher so in our case at least we will end up with more miles.

Delta is trying to lure in the higher profit business type traveler who does pay more for tickets and does fly a lot rather than the once a year budget travelers.

Time will tell if this works or if other airlines adopt the same policy.

The whole miles program does not work for everyone anyway and there are literally trillions of unused miles out there.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,640 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bad news, maybe good news re: air travel

Here is the thread on the Air Travel board which discusses this:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k7236558…

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bad news, maybe good news re: air travel

Southwest Airlines is a "Major". They're basically as large as United.

hudson valley
Level Contributor
2,707 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bad news, maybe good news re: air travel

"it may be even worse for those making shorter trips."

That should have read "it may be even worse *than* for those making shorter trips." I was thinking in terms of my 10,000 mile trip that costs more than many of the other options I had, but is typically less expensive per mile flown than many shorter itineraries.

5. Re: Bad news, maybe good news re: air travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2015, 05:27