We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most recent United Airlines LAX to OGG review

Thousand Oaks...
Level Contributor
25 posts
201 reviews
Save Topic
Most recent United Airlines LAX to OGG review

Hi all. Husband and I just returned from Maui via United Airlines. If you are considering flying UAL out of LAX to OGG, don't do it! The planes that they are currently using are so old that they constantly have mechanical failures. We sat on the runway 1 1/2 hours before taking off for Maui and were delayed 6 hours on the return flight (they had to bring another plane out to the island from LA as they couldn't fix ours). These 757s are so bad that the flight attendants complain about them. (Seriously, one attendant begged us to write letters about the planes and another just complained about how bad the airline has become since the Continental merge.)

If you are thinking of upgrading to first class on these flights, think again. In addition to 55,000 points, you will be charged a $125 "co-pay" per person. The first class/premier cabin does not have wi-fi, nor does it have individual movie screens. They still use the little ones that come down from the ceiling and you have to use their special headphones with 1970's adapters if you want to watch the movie. Food was horrible and the seats barely recline. Save your money and points for a better plane.

From all I've read, and observed during the six hours of waiting (UAL didn't tell us that it would be six hours, they just kept extending departure time by 30 minutes), you'd be better off flying to SFO and taking a UAL 777, which is what they fly from that airport. Or better yet, find another airline.

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Most recent United Airlines LAX to OGG review

I agree. I'm hoping the rumors of Southwest's future plans to fly to Hawaii come true.

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,363 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most recent United Airlines LAX to OGG review

Correct United still flies the old 757-200 v1 domestically on most routes to Hawaii from the mainland. First class is barely better than coach on most planes, but ok it you get it for a bargain. There's a reason they are often the least expensive... and Continental was the good one.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
24,781 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Most recent United Airlines LAX to OGG review

Aloha,

There are quite a few routes to HNL on UA 767s and 777s.

You just have to shop for them.

Aloha

Hayden Lake, ID
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most recent United Airlines LAX to OGG review

All I saw on UA were 757s. They route a lot through Denver now instead of SFO and even the SFO or LAX flights were 757s..

I think we're going to give Alaska a try this time even though they just fly 737s.

Edited: 27 February 2014, 03:18
Thousand Oaks...
Level Contributor
25 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Most recent United Airlines LAX to OGG review

Hubby was a platinum Continental FF for years. They had the BEST customer service. United used to be a great carrier in its day as well. Sometimes bigger may not be better. I hope they are going through a growing phase.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
24,781 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Most recent United Airlines LAX to OGG review

Aloha,

Do you mean to OGG from the mainland or to OGG via HNL? There are many more wide-body options through HNL.

SFO, LAX, DEN, ORD, IAH, IAD, and EWR all have 767 or 777 options to HNL.

Happy hunting.

Aloha

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,914 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Most recent United Airlines LAX to OGG review

I've been posting for *years* about never flying 757's and especially never using points to upgrade on them -- regardless of the carrier.

We jump through hoops to get from Chicago to Maui with the 'long leg' on a 767. (AA flies one out of DFW.) We buy coach and use miles to upgrade. At least the seats in first recline nearly flat, even though there are not yet any entertainment options beyond being issued noise-cancelling headphones. The food is not awful -- no worse than any I've had aboard a plane in over sixty years of flying.

Guests at our condo who come from Canada have MUCH nicer options in first!

We need to all chip in and buy our own airline, eh?

Toronto
Level Contributor
287 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Most recent United Airlines LAX to OGG review

Are the 757-300s any better?

United States
Level Contributor
338 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Most recent United Airlines LAX to OGG review

Glad to hear there are others who feel the way I do - I thought I was getting snobby ;)

Coming from the east coast, I will even pay a little extra if it means flying on an airline/routing that includes a widebody jet for the over-pacific segment. As a very tall person I appreciate having just a 2-seater for me and my spouse, and enough ceiling height in the plane where I can get up easily and stretch my legs. I will purposely look for connections through east coast or midwest cities that include a 767 or A330 - and I won't take a chance on flying through a west coast city even if they are showing the equipment being a widebody - because I know those are subject to change at any time. I'd rather connect through a city that i know is too far to fly a narrowbody non-ER jet

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
420 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Most recent United Airlines LAX to OGG review

We're flying SFO-OGG next week on United and it's a 757-300. According to flightstats.com, their on time performance for this flight is over 90%. I'm sorry the OP had a bad experience, but flying today is becoming more and more like taking the Greyhound. For those of you looking forward to something better on SW, I can tell you that you'll be sorely disappointed. IMO, worst airline ever.