We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What clothes to take for March/April

saskatoon
Level Contributor
104 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
What clothes to take for March/April

Leaving in a few days, time to pack! Mother/daughter trip to Maui and Oahu, here we come! Anyone have a packing list to share, especially what clothes to take for the weather (rain?) there? Is it basically the same as packing for Mexico or Cuba vacations? I haven't been to Hawaii for years plus it's been so cold here it's hard to imagine warm weather wear. Thanks for the help!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What clothes to take for March/April

Well, start by realizing the Maui isn't Mexico or Cuba. Trying to equate the conditions between Hawaii and other beach destinations will only mess you up.

<<it's been so cold here it's hard to imagine warm weather wear.>> My heart goes out to you. Of course, we are dancing in the streets today because it is simply raining in California. Anyway...

http://www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/maui.php This is the website you will want to use for Maui weather.

Pack light cottons, sandals, socks and tennies, sundresses, shorts/capris, light weight tops. Bring an umbrella if you want. Bring a light cotton sweater and a hoodie sweatshirt. And, of course, jeans and warm clothes for the flight.

Edited: 27 February 2014, 00:40
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,283 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What clothes to take for March/April

Very similar climates, so pack as you normally would I think. :) Just don't over pack - that is one of the mistakes of Hawaiian vacation. It is very casual in Hawaii - you should get some aloha wear while you are here - that would be fun for both of you! :)

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What clothes to take for March/April

There are so many great clothes to buy in Hawaii. I like to grossly under pack so I have room for all my new clothes. If you are planning to go to the top of Haleakala volcano in Maui be aware that it can be in the 40s Fahrenheit up there plus sometimes wind chill so bring something for that.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What clothes to take for March/April

Pretty much the same as a Mexican beach vacation

saskatoon
Level Contributor
104 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What clothes to take for March/April

Okay, thanks for the help! Yes, packing light is the key!! And maybe some shopping! Actually starting to finally get excited! (-40C low expected this weekend!)

Pine Island...
Level Contributor
94 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What clothes to take for March/April

Shorts, t-shirts, flip flops, sunglasses, and a hat.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,141 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What clothes to take for March/April

To pack light, put all the clothes you want to take on your bed. Then put half of them back in the closet!

Have a great time, and enjoy the wonderful shopping opportunities there!

Maui
Level Contributor
142 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What clothes to take for March/April

I second BLBL's comment about some kind of outerwear. Bring a light jacket and/or sweater that is nice enough to wear to a restaurant. You'd be surprised how chilly the supermarket or an indoor restaurant can be here. Or even outside in the evening, for that matter.

Marysville...
Level Contributor
401 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What clothes to take for March/April

Hoodie sweatshirt, umbrella .... cold weather gear...nope tired of that.

Shorts, t-shirts, flip flops, sunglasses, and a hat. Check

Then put half of them back in the closet! Check ( yep I'm bad at over packing )

Will start packing tomorrow....seriously.....I have 3 weeks.

Add mask and snorkel, binoculars, oh my list is too long!

10. Re: What clothes to take for March/April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2014, 17:08