We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui Fishpond Canoe Tour

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Topic
Maui Fishpond Canoe Tour

I had this included in my trip report from yesterday, but it was such a great experience I felt it needed a post of it's own

http://mauifishpond.com/programs/canoe-tour/

The tour was 8 people and 2 guides, yes you do paddle but with everyone paddling was not hard at all.

After we met our guide, we got a short cultural lesson about the Pacific Ocean Polynesian Triangle, chanted to the gods, learned how to row and we were on our way.

We heard stories of the different gods, how Maui was "born", a lot of hawaiian culture and history. It was fascinating but I wish I could remember more. We learned about the fishbowls, how they create them and why.

When we got far enough out we saw whales. When we saw whales we stopped to enjoy them. We were also given the opportunity to jump in the water to listen to the whalesongs underneath.

The whole trip was about 2 hours, and so far it is the best thing I have done in my 2 trips to Maui.

Just so different then the snorkel, whale watch trips - loved hearing the stories he told. These are not just things he was saying to us, this is his life, his culture, his beliefs and it was a powerful, wonderful experience that is now on the top of my recommend list.

And your donation goes to supporting the Fishpond - a good cause.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui Fishpond Canoe Tour

Thanks Donna this sounds like fun and for a worthwhile cause we love history so I am sure we would enjoy this.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui Fishpond Canoe Tour

Thanks for the detailed report Donna! I have saved it to my trip files for next month and we will see if this is doable. It would be very unique and fun. We always look at the canoes, and it is more fun to DO than look! Deb

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui Fishpond Canoe Tour

Thanks for the report! I love history and local tales so this interests me. I am curious though- if you took the whales out of the experience would you recommend it as highly? I like to kayak but husband not so much. I'd still consider something to do while he is golfing, but think the whales may have been the thing that made it over the top for you- just wondering

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,030 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui Fishpond Canoe Tour

Thanks for writing about this activity!! It sounds just wonderful!!

We are really interested in Hawaiian culture and this trip seems to be a great way to experience part of it!

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui Fishpond Canoe Tour

retrieverlvr - Fair question - but I was loving the trip from the minute our guide started talking to us. It was informative, beautiful and peaceful.

I was going to say the whales were the icing on the cake, but they were more like the cherry on the sundae. Can;t really have a cake without icing, but leave off the cherry and the sundae is just as good.

Mundelein, IL
Level Contributor
157 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui Fishpond Canoe Tour

Thank you for the information. Do they put together the groups? I was wondering if my wife and I can book a ride or do we need a bigger group?

Thank you

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,892 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui Fishpond Canoe Tour

They will put the "groups" together. Just look at the web-site that D P posted a link for. My dh was lucky enough to work on the restoration of this fish pond. It's an on going project. Great way to get involved!!

8. Re: Maui Fishpond Canoe Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2015, 05:18