We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui to Pearl Harbor

Huron, South Dakota
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
Maui to Pearl Harbor

We are staying on Maui April 6-12 at Honua Kai for our honeymoon. My soon-to-be husband knows nothing about Hawaii (I am the researcher). He was wondering if we could see Pearl Harbor while on Maui. Could someone tell me if we can book a trip over to Pearl Harbor and if so, who should we book through? Or do we just need to get a seperate flight and fly to another island and back again in the same day? Not quite sure how we would go about this...

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,984 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui to Pearl Harbor

You can book an early flight to Honolulu (Oahu) and a return flight back. I think all flights from Maui to Oahu are from OGG.

On Oahu, you can either rent a car or take a taxi to Pearl Harbor. I think it would be preferable to rent a car so that you can see some other places ... e.g. Waikiki. For Pearl Harbor, I would reserve the Arizona Memorial in advance as it does book up.

However, with a 6 night stay on Maui (especially if you are travelling all the way to Hawaii for just that length), I wouldn't take a day to go to another island unless it was an absolute priority and you don't think you'll be back to Hawaii in future years. Travelling between islands eats up a lot of time - 50 minutes to get to the airport on Maui and back again to Honua Kai, airport waiting time of 90 minutes each way unless you use the commuter terminal, flight time of 30 minutes each way, car rental pick up/drop off ... so about 6 hours of time spent on getting to Oahu and back to Honua Kai.

Do you have your flights to/from Maui booked? If not, you could book your flights so that you arrive or depart from Oahu, spend a night there and then the rest of the time on Maui, but I would try to stretch the vacation out a bit longer.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,886 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui to Pearl Harbor

It's my personal opinion that every US citizen should visit the USS Arizona Memorial if at all possible. If you think you might not be back, definitely go!! People do it all the time on a day trip. A six hour total including all travel time (it's a good estimate) is so worth it.

Get an early morning flight on Hawaiian Airlines. It's best to rent a car but if that isn't feasible, a taxi or the local mass transit system will get you there.

You can get your free tickets for the USS Arizona Memorial in advance on line. There is a 1.50 per person processing fee. You will need to be there an hour before your tour time. www.recreation.gov

You could be done there before lunch, if you rent a car you could have time to go into Waikiki, have a nice lunch and a stroll on the beach. Or, you could explore the island a bit by driving to the east or north sides of the island. Stop somewhere for an early dinner and take an early evening/late flight back to Maui.

It's very doable if you want take the time.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,618 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui to Pearl Harbor

I wouldn't do it on a stay this short. I REALLY wouldn't do it on a *honeymoon*.

Guess what? You will be coming back to Hawaii! When you do, arrange to stay a few days in Honolulu so you can see Pearl and Punchbowl, Iolanai Palace, drive the pretty east and north shores of Oahu.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,983 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui to Pearl Harbor

Jamie .. are you flying into Honolulu airport ... and then flying to Maui? Or are you flying directly to Maui from the Mainland.

If you need to fly home from Honolulu ... why not carve out your last night and stay on Waikiki. See Pearl Harbor then.

I also think that your trip is very short to chop it up with a trip to Oahu. It is a VERY long day. You'd need an early morning flight to Honolulu - which means a very, very early day. You'd reserve a car at the Honolulu Airport and then take the short ride to Pearl Harbor. You could also take the bus. You'll want reservations for the Arizona Memorial - and should make those today! The rest of the day could be spent any number of ways ... depending on how long you are at Pearl Harbor ... and the time of your flight back to Maui.

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui to Pearl Harbor

We have done this twice with kids. Once from Maui and once from Kauai. It's completely doable especially if you stick strictly to Pearl Harbor. Plus it's even easier to plan now that you can reserve memorial tickets. We couldn't on our trips and still had plenty of time. The last one we saw pretty much everything. Memorial, Bowfin, Mighty Mo and the air museum. Had lunch at the air museum and were back on Maui in time for dinner.

Saratoga, California
Level Contributor
217 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui to Pearl Harbor

I agree with all the above posts, also do not forget about the traffic on Waikiki.

We did a 3 day layover on our way home from Maui in 2010 so my in-laws could see Pearl Harbor (and see a bit of Waikiki as well).

New Lenox, Illinois
Level Contributor
178 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui to Pearl Harbor

We stayed on Maui twice and visited Pearl Harbor twice. The first time we took a day trip over to Oahu. It was booked through a tour company. We did not enjoy that trip. Pearl Harbor was great but the rest of the tour was awful. The second time, we cut our time on Maui out by 1 day and flew over and spent the night in Waikiki, went to Pearl Harbor on our own, and flew home from there. (It was much better!) If you have your flights to and from booked already, I would take an early inter island flight, see Pearl Harbor and whatever else time allows, and go back to Maui on an evening flight. If it is a priority for you and your soon to be husband, it can be done! Where there's a will, there's a way! Good luck to you and your soon to be husband!

8. Re: Maui to Pearl Harbor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 March 2015, 05:19