We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui w/ disabilities questions

Maricopa, Arizona
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Maui w/ disabilities questions

My husband and I are going to visit Maui in late march. He walks with a cane and also must stay below 6000 ft. elevation because of heart problems.

Are there things to do other than water sports or hiking?

We were going to take the Hana Rd tour. Anyone ever been on it.

We're staying in Lahaina and we have a moderate budget.

Trilogy Excursions
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Eco Tours
Redline Rafting Co.
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Water Sports, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling
Valley Isle Excursions
Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Blue Water Maui
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,532 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui w/ disabilities questions

Hi Rosemarie,

Welcome to the Maui Tripadvisor forum !

Valley Isle Excursions is often recommended here for the Road to Hana Tour, and they also get rave reviews in Tripadvisor's review section:

http://www.tourmaui.com/

tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g60630-d111…

Will you have a rental car? If so, there are other scenic drives that you can do.

A luau is another highlight that you might enjoy - the Old Lahaina Luau or the Feast at Lele.

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui w/ disabilities questions

Yes, the road to Hana is very scenic. But it is a long and very winding road so you have to be OK with that sort of driving. Most of the roads on Maui are near sea level. So you will be able to see a lot of the island. Whale watching trips and other boat excursions are great for people with mobility issues. I agree with Susan about doing a luau. And of course just sitting on the beach is heavenly. If you want a book that tells all the great things to do in Maui, I would recommend Maui Revealed.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui w/ disabilities questions

There are lots of things to do on Maui that don't require hiking or water sports. Mobility is a personal thing, but mine is limited and I get around quite well on Maui. Elevation is only going to come into play with Haleakala, so otherwise you have many options.

The drive to Hana is gorgeous, many people take the tours, but my personal preference is to stop when and where I like. I can imagine the driver being able to enjoy the views better.

In the sidebar there is a link to Things to Do - there are tips for travelers with Disabilities. If you have specific questions; fire away and I will happily assist if possible. What are your interests? Gardens? Museums? Music? It's a wonderful island and it can be highly enjoyable for those of us with mobility issues.

Edited: 01 March 2014, 10:44
Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui w/ disabilities questions

Staying in Lahaina, you'll enjoy the drive down the south-west coast of Maui. The road gets quite narrow and rough as you appoach the end around La Perouse, but is still okay to travel for anyone with intelligence and reasonable driving skills. The area is really beautiful and you'll see lots of lava from the old eruptions. So different to the drive from Kahalui to Lahaina. Be aware of sharp loose lava rock at the end of the road. No big deal but being careful will avoid an annoying puncture.

Stop along the way at the Kealia Pond boardwalk near Sugar Beach. If it's been raining recently, there should be a pile of birds in the area. If not, it's still a good spot to stretch and they have some informative info boards there.

Ho'okipa Beach Park (past Paia) on the point is a great spot to check out the boardriders, kitesurfers, etc. We've seen plenty of large turtles out in the waves with the surfers from this vantage point.

Iao Valley State Park is another place that's easy to access. It's a vey short walk to view the "needle" and the whole are is really beautiful. The path to the viewing area is well-paved concrete.

Although I guess you could call it a "watersport", the submarine ride at Lahaina is very interesting.

Maricopa, Arizona
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui w/ disabilities questions

Thank you for your suggestions. We went ahead and booked the Hana Tour with Valley Excursions.

We checked out Old Lahaina Luau . That also looks like a good idea. Your suggestions look great.

We do have a rental car if you have any other suggestions. Thanks so much!

Maricopa, Arizona
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui w/ disabilities questions

thanks for all those wonderful suggestions. . I'm checking them out - especially the submarine ride.

Maricopa, Arizona
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui w/ disabilities questions

thank you! We will go on Road to Hana We love gardens. I was wondering about Whale Watching. Any suggestions? What are some of the best beaches to check out near Lahaina?

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,617 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui w/ disabilities questions

Read the Top Questions on the right side of the page.

There is one for Travelers With Disabilities. Most of the info on the page is from LesRose.

Order the free travel planners for Hawaii and the Island of Maui. You can also read them online:

http://www.gohawaii.com/visitor-guide

or

1-800-GOHAWAII

Order the free Air Maui map. it is really nice:

http://www.airmaui.com/FreeMap

9. Re: Maui w/ disabilities questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 March 2015, 06:16