We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Makena Beach and Golf Resort Going Condo?

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
837 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Makena Beach and Golf Resort Going Condo?

I am preparing to leave in three days for my Maui vacation. I'm such a huge fan of the Makena Beach and Golf Resort. We will be spending several nights there on the upcoming trip. As I always do, I am checking the reviews as the big day approaches, and to my dismay I see several reviews which state that the resort will at some point in the future be turned into high end residential condominiums. Things have been shaky at the resort for years, with an incomplete construction site to the south and the active construction site to the north, but now it seems as though its end is not far away.

My heart is broken because imo nothing on Maui compares to the seclusion, beach, and relaxing serenity of this resort. I used to be a die hard Four Seasons Wailea patron, but Makena won me over a while back.

Does anyone have any kind of inside information regarding this? Are the condominiums residential that are planned, is this in the imminent future, is it a rumor? I'm sad.....

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Makena Beach and Golf Resort Going Condo?

If true I agree that is a total bummer we usually stay in a condo and are mot rally resort people but did stay there for one night last June and really enjoyed it . I wouldn't mind staying there for a couple nights during a future stay.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Makena Beach and Golf Resort Going Condo?

I can't imagine - but now you have my curiosity up. Oh it would be lousy to lose that lovely retreat.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
837 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Makena Beach and Golf Resort Going Condo?

There were some very recent reviews written about the hotel that reference this and some of the hotel employees sadly confirmed it when they were asked about it. One reviewer remarked that the hotel had stopped repairing things in the guest rooms properly and was just making "band-aid" fixes because of the short time left for the property to accept guests. Another reviewer said that the 300 room hotel was being divided into 48 high end residential condos and that they had checked with the county and these plans had been submitted recently for approval.

When a manager of the hotel replied to one of the reviews she danced around the issue by saying that whatever plans the hotel had for the future, they strive to provide an excellent guest experience or something along those lines.

I was hoping someone had heard something, perhaps a resident.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
378 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Makena Beach and Golf Resort Going Condo?

Wow. That is really upsetting. When we are on Maui we usually stay in a condo, but the last few times we've visited we've spent a few days at the Makena Resort and thought it was wonderful. We had planned to spend a few days there again in May, and now I am second-guessing whether that's a good idea.

Any ideas as to how soon the conversion is going to begin?

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,071 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Makena Beach and Golf Resort Going Condo?

Changing the golf course to private and other things.... Seemed to suggest some major changes were happening. Hopefully they will come out with their plans soon since it seems like bits of info are already getting out.

LA
Level Contributor
9,933 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Makena Beach and Golf Resort Going Condo?

No.

This would be such a loss to many regular Maui visitors who really value the tranquil, relaxed and relaxing hotel on that wonderful beach.

I just cannot believe this.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
837 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Makena Beach and Golf Resort Going Condo?

ConCeili - you need to stay there! It's wonderful! Whatever the plans are, there is no way a May 2014 trip could be affected. I am checking in March 9th for a week stay at the hotel, and I will try to get all the information I can about this. We are repeat guests and several of the employees recognize us now and these are the guys I am going to ask about this. I'm just so sad about it I posted here in the forum hoping to get some "immediate gratification" thinking someone might have some inside information. Even if this is happening soon, I doubt it would affect the rest of this year, but of course that is only a guess on my part.

New Berlin, WI
Level Contributor
466 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Makena Beach and Golf Resort Going Condo?

When you are there, ask the employees, they all know and will openly talk about it. We stayed in January 11 nights and that is the hot topic. That his how you will find out, just ask them and they will tell. Have a great trip!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
837 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Makena Beach and Golf Resort Going Condo?

Thanks Chris H. That sounds like a confirmation of sorts :-( . The trip advisor review that alerted me to this situation was posted about two weeks ago and I just now remembered that the more detailed discussion about it came from some recent yelp reviews. A yelp review is the one that got a response from the hotel manager. Chris, do you have any information other than the vague things I've heard?

Edited: 01 March 2014, 15:47
Iowa
Level Contributor
10,241 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Makena Beach and Golf Resort Going Condo?

I saw the reviews too and my first thought was, " maybe we can buy there!!" Ha! Not in the real life budget for now. I am very sad to lose this lovely place. Glad we are staying there for our last night on our trip this month. At least Maluaka Beach will always be there for us.