We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family of 4

canada
3 posts
Save Topic
Family of 4

Traveling with our 19 y.o. daughter and 17 y.o. son. Very special holiday as may be one of the last ones together. Not sure if we should spend our entire vacation in Honolulu or split the time between Oahu and Maui. We plan on staying in Oahu for 5 days to get that buzz island experience. Then off to Maui. Is there an area in Maui that you recommend for us? We like to get a real feel for a place when traveling. Like to rest and be 'on the go' - good combo for us!

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,617 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family of 4

I would spend a few days in Honolulu and then head to another island ... how much time in total will you have for your vacation? When will your trip be?

If you do split your stay, I would look for flights from Canada to one island and home from the other, and then book the inter-island flight with Hawaiian Airlines.

As far as area on Maui ... anything on the south or west side would work well. A condo would probably be a good choice and there are lots to choose from. If you let us know your approximately nightly budget, we can make some specific recommendations.

United States
Level Contributor
333 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family of 4

how many days in Maui do you plan?

What is your nightly budget?

What amenities are important to you? What is it important for you to have and be near?

Will you rent a car?

Level Contributor
34,520 posts
890 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family of 4

Check out the Honua Kai, a luxury condo place. :)

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,425 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family of 4

What time of year are you traveling? Summer I guess, given the ages of the kids. And where in Canada? Will you fly through Vancouver, or possibly Seattle? Bellingham? There are direct flights to Maui and Oahu from Vancouver. Calgary has direct as well, but only part of the year??? Can't remember for sure.

Welcome to Trip Advisor too!

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Family of 4

There are two major resort areas of Maui: Wailea and Kaanapali. They are both beautiful and fun. Kaanapali is better for teens as it has a more lively vibe. However if after the buzz of Waikiki, they want a more peaceful quiet area, then Wailea would do the trick. From either area you will to travel out by car to see all the many wonderful sights around Maui.

Dallas
Level Contributor
20,785 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family of 4

If you are not staying for at least 10 nights, i would suggest that you just stay on Oahu and rent a car for at least part of the time you are there.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
118 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family of 4

I would not personally spend any nights on Oahu I would spend the whole time in Maui.

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Family of 4

I agree that if you do two islands, fly into one and fly home from the second. Oahu and Maui is a good combo but only if you have at least 8-10 days total.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
21,496 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Family of 4

Aloha,

Welcome to TripAdvisor !

To some extent, your options vary according to how long you can stay on-island.

Your teens would probably love both Waikiki (on Oahu) and Kaanapali (on Maui).

Aloha

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,968 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family of 4

Welcome to TripAdvisor!

We really need more information.

When are you traveling?

How many nights will you be in Hawaii?

How many nights (4?) will you be in Honolulu?

Please understand that Oahu (and even Honolulu) is not all buzz. Most of Oahu is rural ... so you may want to stay on Oahu and split your trip between Waikiki and another part of the Island. That's an option. Be careful not to stereotype Oahu or Maui. Parts of Maui are ... "lively" as well.

Unless you have 10 nights, I would not attempt two Islands. You'll lose at least 1/2 day with each Island transition.