We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pronunciation

Huron, South Dakota
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
Pronunciation

Does anyone know of a website or app where you can enter words and it says them back to you? We are going to Maui in April and I don't want to sound like the dummy I am and not know how to say anything. I just discovered about two weeks ago while talking to a family friend that you pronounce Hana as "Hannah". I was saying it as "Ha-nah". Just because I "am" a Maui dummy doesn't mean I want to "sound" like one. ;)

1. Re: Pronunciation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 March 2014, 15:05
Plover, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
538 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pronunciation

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60634-i87-k294580…

Here is a post that may help you.

Plover, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
538 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pronunciation

tripadvisor.com.my/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k819…

Here's another post.

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pronunciation

From all I've heard it pronounced your's is the right way to say Hana. I have never seen a website that does pronunciation but that doesn't mean it's not out there. Many try to explain it but it is really hard. I picked it up quickly for the most part but my wife even after twelve years of travels to the islands she has real problems with it. The language is vowel heavy and in general each letter usually gets pronounced. There are exceptions of course. Then you throw in an `okina and it can really mess with your mind. Rather than a website you might have better luck with finding a software program. Good luck and have fun.

5. Re: Pronunciation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 04 March 2014, 14:54
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
837 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pronunciation

You are saying Hana correctly. Hah-nah is correct. Who in the world told you it was Hannah! LOL You will get a better feel for it on your trip by hearing the pronunciation when people around you are saying things. It took me many years of trips to get good at it. Im pretty darn good but it took a long time. If something on a menu at a restaurant trips me up, when ordering I just politely ask my server how to correctly pronounce it for next time. its a never ending quest!

A simple rule of thumb that is to me the MOST helpful - the vowels are pronounced like this in hawaiian

A is AHHHHH like when the doctor asks you to open your mouth and say Ahhhh

E is not the E sound - instead it is EHHHHHHH as in the word bell

I sounds like E - EEEEE as in the word feed

O sounds like the same O we say in english as in open

U sounds like oooooo as in the word food.

Vowel combination like AU sounds like the OU sound in the word Ouch

I wouldn't stress about it. Do you realize how many people can't do it and it's okay! I still struggle with my very favorite food in Hawaii - poke. Some say Poe-keh and some say pokey. Drives me insane how to pronounce it when ordering it!!!!

Edited: 04 March 2014, 15:02
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
837 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pronunciation

I meant to include this link to a pretty helpful sight with some of the basic hawaiian words pronounced for you.

http://hawaiian-words.com - it even has a section on place names like towns and islands. Hope it helps!

Edited: 04 March 2014, 15:07
Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pronunciation

Julie's posts were very helpful. I do the very best I can with the language, while on our Hawaiian vacations. I have a very good local friend and she manages the condos where we stay. She is very helpful in helping me say words. I listen to the newscasters, radio, songs and residents when they speak. And I do exactly as Julie advised. I ask how to say the words properly because I am very interested in the proper way to say things, but I am realistic and do not beat myself up when I frequently get it wrong. It is a difficult, but beautiful language and an ongoing process of learning every visit I make. You will find folks very friendly and helpful in Hawaii about helping you pronounce words right, and appreciative that you care enough to want to learn. Deb

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Pronunciation

Julie - you could always just point and say "Give me some of that please"

The biggest word I have had a problem with this trip is Makawao. Have asked a couple of people and it seems it is Mak a wow kind of. I had thought more like Mak a way oh

Oh well.

brampton, ontario
Level Contributor
224 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pronunciation

For me, it's best if I listen to the local radio station online. It's very helpful when the news comes on and I end up getting really excited when I start recognizing names and locations