We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family-friendly Itinerary Help

Pembroke Pines...
Level Contributor
78 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Family-friendly Itinerary Help

Hi everyone! I'm planning a trip to Hawaii for this summer with my son who is 6. We will be flying from Ft. Lauderdale/Miami and will be staying for 14-15 days. He's the most easy-going kid so traveling with him and island hopping does not scare me at all. From the boards I hear mixed things on whether we should do 2 islands or 3. I definitely want to go to Oahu and Maui. I'd really love to go to the Big Island but I'm wondering if maybe that's doable as a day trip from Oahu/Maui.

Also, we will be traveling around the 4th of July, which island has a better fireworks celebration??

Thanks!!!

Pembroke Pines...
Level Contributor
78 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family-friendly Itinerary Help

I wanted to clarify, the only reason I wanted to go to the Big Island was to go to VNP

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,912 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family-friendly Itinerary Help

Hi!

Count your nights, not your days.

I would split the trip in two - 1/2 of the nights on Maui and 1/2 on Oahu.

What draws you to the Big Island? Volcanoes National Park outside of Hilo? That's the only place (or reason) I would consider a day trip. And it's a very looong day for a six-year old. But, yes, you can fly over with a tour for the day ... or do it yourself.

Keep in mind that flying between the Islands doesn't "hop." You will encounter the same TSA, US protocols ... wait times, etc. And you will want to book your flights in advance. Since you are flying during peak vacation season, I would pin all this down fairly soon. InterIsland flights can be expensive. And you will want to fly on Hawaiian Airlines.

I would opt of Waikiki for the 4th of July.

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Family-friendly Itinerary Help

The Big Island is definitely not a day trip. I wouldn't recommend VNP for a 6 yr old due to the volcanic air pollution and the long hikes that are need to explore the park. But if you go, I recommend 3 nights minimum for arrival, departure, driving long distances to VNP and time to explore VNP. As for how many islands, I would decide that based on the fact that you need to spend at least 5-7 days on each island. My experience in seeing children that young in Hawaii is that they are a little too young to appreciate the difference between Hawaii and any fun beach area on the mainland. So spending the money is not worth it for his benefit. However if you are going for your benefit, then it is definitely worth the money.

Pembroke Pines...
Level Contributor
78 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family-friendly Itinerary Help

Well the trip was decided 5 years ago when my late husband (his dad) was going through chemo. He wanted something big for our 10th wedding anniversary (which would have been this year) and what he was hoping would be his 5th year of remission. So the trip is more for the both of us to remember him since he never made it to Hawaii.

I was worried about the air pollution at VNP. Is there a helicopter tour to see the lava from any of the other islands by chance?? If not no big deal, it'll give us a good excuse to make it back out there :)

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,865 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family-friendly Itinerary Help

There is a flight from Maui to sight see over the Big Island. It is expensive but you can do it. The problem is there isn't much to see right now and no telling if there will be at that time. You can also fly there, do a helicopter tour, and fly back.

Definitely do Oahu for the 4th.

I am sure the trip will be bittersweet, but good for you! I am glad you are doing it. I lost my husband when the kids were little and kept the planned trip to Disney World. He would be happy you are still living life!!!

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,909 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family-friendly Itinerary Help

There are air tours from Maui, or you could fly to Hilo and do a heli tour from there, but I don't think there is much viewable lava activity from the air right now - from what I've ready recently, I think mostly what you'll see is smoke from the lava burning the vegetation. The situation could change between now and July though. Up until last September or October, it was possible to view lava from the air, from a boat tour and on lava hikes as there was surface flow on an exposed lava field that was flowing into the ocean. This thread on the BI forum provides regular updates: tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g29217-i268-k708154…

With two weeks, I would stick with two islands to avoid spending too much time in airports. The Big Island would be a good destination for when your son is older, especially if you both like hiking.

Good luck with your plans :)

p.s. didn't mean to be repetitive with advice given in the post above ... I didn't see that post until I had posted this one.

Edited: 04 March 2014, 20:35
Pembroke Pines...
Level Contributor
78 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family-friendly Itinerary Help

Thanks everyone!!!! I really appreciate your advice!

8. Re: Family-friendly Itinerary Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2015, 05:20